885 fuel return pipework

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

garymiller

885 fuel return pipework

Post by garymiller » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:00 am

Sometime ago I removed the fuel return pipework from my 885 and it pretty much fell to bits, I replaced it with fuel hose and t pieces but I now want to hard pipe it.
I bought a pre formed piece of pipe from John County but it doesn't have a tee off for my hot plug...which my tractor is addicted to after standing for more than a day.
My question is are the fittings available to splice in an an additional take off for the hot plug...either compresssion or solder/braze?
Is this the correct place for the hot plug fuel supply or is there an alternative?
Does the hot plug actually need a fuel supply or can they be un without?
Interested to hear all your thoughts

DB780

Re: 885 fuel return pipework

Post by DB780 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:23 am

Yes, it needs a fuel supply. You do not mention the little header tank for the thermostart, see 31 on the link below. You cannot just have the thermostart 'T' in to the returns line without this tank. You should have no problems getting pipe fitting at an hydraulic repair/sales shop.

https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 83ar849732

db2d

Post by db2d » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:27 am

Thermostart kits are available from davidbrownparts.com
Are you using the cold start device on the injector pump?

garymiller

Post by garymiller » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:38 pm

Ah ha!
I never mentioned the header tank because I never knew it existed!
Mine is a simple tee into the return pipework, originally with a metal to fuel hose.
When I use the thermostat I hear a pop from it which I presumed was the diesel igniting on the hot coil?
And yes I still use the cold start on the injector pump.

db2d

Post by db2d » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:11 pm

Not all DB tractors were fitted with a small tank. The pipe from the return line to the Thermostart was coiled and this held an adequate amount of fuel.

garymiller

Post by garymiller » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:50 pm

Mine has quite a bit of slack built into it so I'm likely getting away with it.
Just out of curiosity what sort of volume is the header tank, it looks quite small?

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:45 pm

The amount of fuel in the Thermostart reservoir, ref 31 the link supplied by db780, is more than adequate for the Thermostart to work long enough when the preheater is in operation . The reservoir will be automatically filled by the return fuel from the injectors and the injection pump whenever the engine is turning.