880selctamatic

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

880selctamatic

880selctamatic

Post by 880selctamatic » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:41 am

Dose anyone know the difference between the david brown engine serial number ad3/55 and the ad3/55a mine is the ad3/55a need to know cause want to know what the right engine overhaul kit to buy? Thanks

ollek

Re: 880selctamatic

Post by ollek » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:24 am

AD3/55 is the engine type, not the serial number. The engine serial number follows this type designation. The letters AD stands for Agricultural Diesel. The number 3 is for 3 cylinders and 55 is for the displacement of one cylinder in cubic inches. The letter A stands for double clutch, also called Livedrive, and B for single clutch. Livedrive means that there is two clutch plates, one driving the transmission and the other the pto and the hydraulic pump. Pressing the clutch pedal partly down will stop the tractor and pressing fully down will stop both the tractor and the pto and the hydraulic pump. The engine type and serial numbers are usually stamped into the block on the righty hand side somewhere below the dynamo. The engine is normally called AD3/55, as the clutch is not really a part of the engine. The flywheel is different between the different clutches. Please find the official electronic parts catalogue for your tractor in the following link http://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-se ... 585ag53407 And then, I do not think you will find any engine overhaul kit, all parts needed will have to order separately.

880selctamatic

Post by 880selctamatic » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:54 pm

Thanks for the info thats been really helpful. I have seen ad3/55 overhaul kit on eBay https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAVID-BROWN-78 ... 0551466322

db2d

Post by db2d » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:15 pm

Are you certain that the engine requires the degree of work depicted by the ebay kit ?
Knowledge and equipment for boring cylinder blocks are essential for this undertaking.

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:34 pm

The kit you are referring to includes dry liners and new pistons, as well as seals and gaskets. The engine must be completely destroyed before you need all these parts. Please let a experienced engine workshop have a look at the engine with the cylinder head and the pistons removed before you start to buy any parts. It is a major job for a good engine machine shop to fit dry liners and I am almost sure it is not needed. You can in most cases get by fitting new piston rings and deglazing the cylinder boors as well as fixing the cylinder head (valves, valve inserts and so on).

880selctamatic

Post by 880selctamatic » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:19 am

Might not be using all of the kit for my tractor im buying full kit that way works out cheaper than buying every other individually was gonna pay attention to pistons liners etc not touching the crank shaft. The bores in the enigine seem very well tapered and worn i was able to shake old pistons around with my hands when i lifted the head off thought maybe the new liners would have fitted?Im getting the head done up professionally i Will be able to give them all gaskets when i do so

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:27 am

The dry liners are not "new liners", there is no liners in the engine originally. Using dry liners will involve two machining operations, one for boring out the block to fit the liners and the other one to bore out the liners to fit the pistons. The best way to tackle a engine with badly worn cylinders is to fit oversize pistons. This will need only one machining operation and is therefor cheaper. Why don't you let the engine shop do the job and supply the pistons and piston rings? Gasket sets are easy to obtain. The dry liners are meant for repairs where one cylinder only is damaged to the extent that oversize pistons will not be big enough or when the water mantle is exposed when the cylinder is bored to the biggest oversize. The later can happen if the water mantle is badly corroded due to water without antifreeze, including rust inhibitors, have been used.

880selctamatic

Post by 880selctamatic » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:41 pm

Maybe ill just try the new replacing pistons and rings this is maybe alls thats needed trying to keep the cost down. Thanks for your help with this

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:02 pm

Before you purchase new pistons, be sure to measure the cylinders accurately at the top (this is the point where the top compression ring change direction), centre and bottom. Then compere these measures to the maximum allowed figures given by the engine manufacturer. If the cylinders are worn too much, then you will have to strip the block and send it to a good engine machine shop for re boring to oversize one or two. The engine machine shop will then supply the correct pistons and piston rings.

880selctamatic

Post by 880selctamatic » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:27 am

Dead on will do that thanks.

880selctamatic

Post by 880selctamatic » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:32 am

I have a cracked engine head on my david brown 880selctamatic and might be able to source a engine head for a 880 implecmatic i was wondering would anyone know if the implematic head would fit on to the Selectamatic engine. I had another 3cylinder engine head it was very similar only it was different were the water pump connected. I had it at an engineering shop they said i couldn't use it. If anyone can help me with this let me know thanks?

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:37 pm

The 880 Implematic can have 4- or 3-cylindewr engines, and both engin4es have wet, changeable cylinder sleeves. The cylinder diameter in the 4-cylinder engine is 92,1 mm and 96,8 mm in the 3-cylinder. The 880 Selectamatic engine is a 3-cylinder engine with cylinders directly bored into the block (no sleeves, wet or dry). The cylinder diameter in these engines is 100 mm. Based on that, I would say that a cylinder head from a Implematic will not fit a engine from a Selectamatic. You will have to get a cylinder head from a AD3/55 engine, as this is the engine type used in the 880 Selectamatic.

mc

Post by mc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:18 pm

Could i politely correct something in ollek's last post. The 3-cylinder engine fitted to the 880 Implematic tractor does actually have dry sleeves which if removed leaves a bore of 100 mm. This would then be the same as the cylinder block as fitted to the early 880 Selectamatic with AD3/55 engine.

With regard to the cylinder head i would be surprised if there are any major differences between Implematic & early Selectamatic cylinder heads. Both would have the same small valves & bypass hose. The later 880 Selectamatics had the larger valves & water pump bypass seal.