switch

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

drsmith

switch

Post by drsmith » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:56 am

I have a round switch looking connection on the front outside face of the inlet manifold on my 990 Implematic. It has two spade wiring connections 1 big and 1 small my long standing DB mechanic has never seen one before and we would like to know what it is and what it does.

DB780

Re: switch

Post by DB780 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:40 am

Have you tried taking it out and look what is inside the manifold? I would have thought the mechanic, we are naturally curious, would have done that. One could speculate and say because it has a large connection that it may be an heater devise someone has fitted. Send a photograph.

drsmith

Post by drsmith » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:07 am

It is a natural threaded appature in the manifold not something that has been added.

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:32 am

Are you talking about the ether plug as seen in the following link, ref 7 https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 82ar769955 It is possible to fit a Thermostart pre heater unit in stead of the ether plug, the threads are the same. Please see the following link, ref number 1 or 8 https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 6ar1261083 The Thermostart was a optional extra in Selectamatic tractors and in some cold countries it was a standard fitment.

drsmith

Post by drsmith » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:57 am

Thanks Ollek it is a Ether plug that I have got so at least we know what it is for and what to do with it.

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:21 pm

The ether plug does not have any spade connectors, but the Thermostart unit have. I can not understand how a David Brown fitter does not know what a Ether plug and a Thermostart unit are.

Teadoor

Post by Teadoor » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:40 pm

Hi, sorry if this is OT, but I give it a try:

I have a DB 880A Selectamatic 1970 and there is no Thermostart on it (!). But I really could need one since I live in the northern part of Sweden.
Well, the question is: can I just buy a thermo start plug and mount it in the hole for the ether plug and connect a wire and a switch? Seems to be the same threads, but do I need something more and will it work?

Thanks!

db2d

Post by db2d » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:53 pm

A thermostart kit, minus the electrical switch, is available from davidbrownparts.com

The thermostart plug is connected to the fuel return line with the connectors provided. The copper pipe is curled to provide a fuel reservoir.

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:52 pm

Teadoor wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:40 pm
Hi, sorry if this is OT, but I give it a try:

I have a DB 880A Selectamatic 1970 and there is no Thermostart on it (!). But I really could need one since I live in the northern part of Sweden.
Well, the question is: can I just buy a thermo start plug and mount it in the hole for the ether plug and connect a wire and a switch? Seems to be the same threads, but do I need something more and will it work?

Thanks!
the ferguson bottle costs around £10 it is ready available and connect to the return pipes with some car brake unions and copper brake pipes ,i have this set up on two of my 880s makes a lot of differance in the cold winter months,

does anyone know of a block heater that will fit a db block?

Teadoor

Re:

Post by Teadoor » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:37 pm

db2d wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:53 pm
A thermostart kit, minus the electrical switch, is available from davidbrownparts.com

The thermostart plug is connected to the fuel return line with the connectors provided. The copper pipe is curled to provide a fuel reservoir.
Thank you for answering so quickly!
I see, what a good tip. That solution you show gives a certain amount of fuel and a certain burning time. Do you know how long that pipe between the thermostarter plug and the T-connection is and for how long the fuel in it last? How many seconds do I need to use the thermostart if it is, say -30 deg C, i. e. how big reservoir do I need in my climate? What if I would join the thermostart pipe to the feeding line between the fuel filters and the injection pump, make a vertical bow upwards and then an horizontal coil before connecting to the thermostarter plug? Then I could easily fill the (empty) pipe with the hand lever on the lift pump. Or will that
not work, does it need the possibility for air to come in into the pipe so the fuel can pour down through the plug when the plug is in action? If I, as you write, connect to the fuel return line, should it be at the highest point near the fuel tank or is it better to connect at the lowest point near the injectors and therefore get a bigger reservoir? Should I use a special, extra switch or replace the ignition switch with one with more positions?
joeproctor wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:52 pm
the ferguson bottle costs around £10 it is ready available and connect to the return pipes with some car brake unions and copper brake pipes ,i have this set up on two of my 880s makes a lot of differance in the cold winter months,

does anyone know of a block heater that will fit a db block?
Thanks! I guess it does. I shall look for that bottle, what MF models use it, is it common? Actually I did have a thought building myself with car brake stuff, figured out it should fit and do... :)

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:48 pm

it is common to most fergies but if your asking try the 35,model

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:50 pm

joeproctor wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:48 pm
it is common to most fergies but if your asking try the 35,model
the pipe is as short/long as
needed depends where you mount the bottle,20 seconds of heat and turn starter!

db2d

Post by db2d » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:58 pm

The fuel return line to the tank is where the connection to the thermostart has to be made. The pipe size is imperial and the connection used has to be the correct size to avoid back pressure which can cause problems. A small tank can be incorporated but is not really necessary providing the pipe to the thermostart is coiled. The kit I mentioned meets these requirements and no breathing adaptions are necessary. A new starter switch with a heating provision is the simplest way to provide power to the thermostart.
Are you aware that there is a cold start device on the fuel injector pump ?
Last edited by db2d on Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Living in a other cold country, I can tell the following:
If it is -30 deg C, keep the Thermostart button pressed (or the ignition switch in preheat) for at least 30 seconds, or even a maximum of 45 seconds, before you try to start the tractor. In these temperatures it will take 15 to 20 seconds before the flame starts to burn in the inlet manifold. You can hear the flame igniting if you listen carefully, and the flame has to burn more than 15 seconds in order to get the air in the inlet manifold heated up high enough to help the temperature on top of the piston to reach a figure that makers it possible for the fuel injected to ignite. If the engine do not start, repeat the sequence for 30 more seconds. Do not rev up the engine after it has started, but keep it at low idle for a couple minutes before you try to increase the engine revs. Please note: A pre heat time of 20 seconds is all too short when the temperature drops down below -15 to -20 deg C. Pumping with the hand pump and turning in the injection advance locking screw under the injection pump, before attempt to start will also help. Please remember to turn out the advance screw after the engine has started.