Anyone replaced/simplified Selectamatic hydraulics?

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER - Please be aware that any views expressed or advice given on the Forum are purely the opinion of the relevant poster. The David Brown Tractor Club Ltd does not endorse any of the views expressed, or advice thus given. Forum Visitors should be aware that any action they may take as a result of such information is taken at their own risk.

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 19/09/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

cossyrec

Re: Anyone replaced/simplified Selectamatic hydraulics?

Post by cossyrec » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:28 am

if the internal plumbing is same us/uk the pipes under Cessna valve is rearmost feed to valve chest /middle full pressure from pump./ front return to gearbox via branch lines for lubrication to vital areas

ollek

Post by ollek » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:10 am

The internal plumbing is the same in all tractors, but you can not get any external connections to these pipes when the Cessna valve is in place. The connections are trough the valve spool and to hoses fitted to the Cessna valve.

ollek

Post by ollek » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:18 am

Further to my earlier instructions. To safe guard the pump from working against a dead end, I would recommend to remove the by-pass valve plunger, letting the return flow from the added valves to the lubrication circuit in all circumstances.

880Aubrey

Post by 880Aubrey » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:07 pm

Thanks all. Trying to wrap my head around this. (Im new to hydraulics so bare with me)

There are (2) hose connections on this valve.
IMG_0595.JPG
IMG_0595.JPG (113.35 KiB) Viewed 2361 times
Can I simply run one or both lines from the above auxiliary valve to this and use it to operate the 3pt lift?
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG (100.5 KiB) Viewed 2361 times

cossyrec

Post by cossyrec » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:40 pm

valve.jpg
valve.jpg (96.84 KiB) Viewed 2356 times
I suspect if you remove the four bolts holding this casting on and remove it you will be able to screw a banjo fitting with a male thread pointing downwards. while you have it off make up a top hat shaped nylon plug to tap into the pipe directly behind to block it and stop pressure back feeding valve chest. reassemble then lift arms should work when ever pressure is sent to banjo fitting from what ever source. As for the other side cesna valve first time I have seen this but I will come up with solution for you. I am unsure to what oilek said if a suitable feed and return to pipe up a bank of modern day spool valves is available directly from this valve or if you are supposed to by something to go between top plate and casting.

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:54 pm

if you could get a single acting cessna valve to add on to the two one and pipe across to a banjo bolts 'cossyrec ' describes the lift will work and also the oil returned to the correct place to lubricate the gearbox perfick!

cossyrec

Post by cossyrec » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:31 pm

Sorry I have just read thread again and noticed you said two connections presume plugs on valve. Therefore I do not know for sure but would guess when lever is in right position eg not feeding valve chest inside axle. You will have a pressure and return which can connect to a spool valve/s and from there to your banjo union. Guess about $300 all in including new valve block/ pipes and fittings plus a little labour making brackets etc. Plus if you buy say a four 4 slice valve block you will have enough hydraulics to work what ever you want to do in future.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:29 am

You do not need to have a single acting Cessna valve fitted. You can make your double acting Cessna valve single acting by simply connecting one of the two hoses from the valve to the return plug on top of the rear axle on the left hand side. The plug can be seen in front of the lift arm in you latest picture with the red arrow. The other hose can be connected to the connection block behind your left foot. The 3-point hitch can now be operated with the Cessna valve.

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:00 am

ollek wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:29 am
You do not need to have a single acting Cessna valve fitted. You can make your double acting Cessna valve single acting by simply connecting one of the two hoses from the valve to the return plug on top of the rear axle on the left hand side. The plug can be seen in front of the lift arm in you latest picture with the red arrow. The other hose can be connected to the connection block behind your left foot. The 3-point hitch can now be operated with the Cessna valve.
yes of course top marks ollek!

cossyrec

Post by cossyrec » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:58 pm

880Aubrey there you are then only going to cost two pipes and four unions.

880Aubrey

Post by 880Aubrey » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:10 pm

Perfect. Now off to buy some fittings.

I will update back later in the week after everything is installed.

Thanks again everyone, I'm very excited to get the 3pt working.

880Aubrey

Post by 880Aubrey » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:47 pm

Update:
Connections made and............no lift.

The 3pt lift arms do wiggle slightly when operating the valve, but do not lift even a fraction of an inch.

See photos. Any recommendations on where to go from here?
Attachments
IMG_0621.JPG
IMG_0621.JPG (136.06 KiB) Viewed 2286 times
IMG_0617.JPG
IMG_0617.JPG (103.36 KiB) Viewed 2286 times
IMG_0619.JPG
IMG_0619.JPG (114.8 KiB) Viewed 2286 times

1952CROPMASTER

Post by 1952CROPMASTER » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:00 pm

When you had the Connector Plate off did you block off the pipe going back to the Valve Chest, if not it will not work,

880Aubrey

Post by 880Aubrey » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:52 pm

Cropmaster, I did not block anything off.

Is this the connector plate?
There were (2) ports in this and they were both connected.
IMG_0617.JPG
IMG_0617.JPG (103.36 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
Attachments
db8.png
db8.png (192.11 KiB) Viewed 2131 times

1952CROPMASTER

Post by 1952CROPMASTER » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:05 am

Yes that's the connector, that pipe that fits into the connector beside your new fitting has to be blocked off