1394 electric issues

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Ady0969

1394 electric issues

Post by Ady0969 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:16 am

Hi all having recently bought his tractor I've found I have no lights / indicators or windscreen wiper the fuse board at top is dead on both sides have tested power at two brown cables at starter motor and both live but unsure where they go to then
How do I remove top roof pod that holds switchs ,fuse box and stereo without breaking it also if I need to get into dash how to remove that also
Tia

DB780

Re: 1394 electric issues

Post by DB780 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:23 am

Check the wiring at the connector blocks under the dash near the brake pedals, this is a common place for the brown wire to give problems. Roof electrics can be accessed by removing the 4 bolts holding the roof (on the outside) and the windscreen wiper nut. The roof will then lift at the front and be propped for access.

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:27 am

Both brown cables are going to two automatic fuses. It is a known fact that these fuses can corrode inside, preventing current to pass.

Ady0969

Post by Ady0969 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:29 am

Thanks guys where would I find a wiring diagram for my 1394

mart1602

Post by mart1602 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:47 pm

i have just gone through all the wireing on my 1690,you will be supprised at how wrong it was from the fuse box to light switch and ignition switch.facing forward in the seat look up the cab frame by the r/h step and you will find connectors for the wires that go up to top of the cab start with these ,as said easier to lift the roof .a google search will bring up a diagram 90 or 94 series will be the same or close enough the spades can come off the light switch very easily when re fitting the dash

DLG

Post by DLG » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:11 pm

Hi pal did you find a wiring diagram as i would like someone with a 1394 to tel me the correct order and colour of wires on the back of the hazard warning switch ,if anyone could please have a quick look id relay appreciate it ,as its driving me mad trying to sus it .maybe if someone could send me a pic of the back of there switch or do me a colour coded diagram .thanks Darren 07720140313

DLG

Post by DLG » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:22 pm

i have a 1394 1986 4wd and as well as wanting to no the correct place to put the wires on the back of the hazard switch couler coded diagram appreciated .could any one also tel me why when i put my brakes on that winkers will not work ,iv cleaned all the earths and took direct earths from battery to back lights .just in case it was that but still doing it ? any ideas thanks darren

DLG

Post by DLG » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:32 pm

Ady0969 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:16 am
Hi all having recently bought his tractor I've found I have no lights / indicators or windscreen wiper the fuse board at top is dead on both sides have tested power at two brown cables at starter motor and both live but unsure where they go to then
How do I remove top roof pod that holds switchs ,fuse box and stereo without breaking it also if I need to get into dash how to remove that also
Tia
hi i had the same prob .i ordered a new fuse panal and cleaned all wire fittings .also make sure all wires in dash all cleaned and tight ,then i had power .please be cerful if downloading a manual as the wiring diagram is not the same colour wires and therefor does not help .my prob now is iv taken wires off hazard switch and need someone to send a colour coded diagram of were thy go .also my winkers go off when brakes lights come on .can you help me ? if anyone out there could maybe send a pic of the back of there hazard switch wires on a 1394 showing colours then id appreciate it ,thanks

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:12 am

The most common cause of power loss to the cab roof electrics on a 94 is the multi plug which is inside the cab frame on the rh side of the front screen, where you split the wiring harness to lift the top half of the cab off

These plugs corrode badly

skyrydr2

Post by skyrydr2 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:01 am

The winkers are a seperate circuit so it should be pretty easy to identify them. They are NOT common to the brake lamp circuit.
If you apply b + to each wire end you can see what circuit is lit up and record it. Mine were light blue wirh a red tracer and green with red tracer .
My flasher unit failed to flash but does turn on the correct lamps so I just pulled off the b+ power wire ( mine was red) and made a jumper wire and installed a heavy duty flasher cube. Easy Peasy. For Hazzards I installed a switch that fed 2 seperate heavy duty cubes and spliced them into the directional circuits so each cube ran a seperate side only when the switch was turned on.
With this set up my "winkers" are very heavy duty and can power up a pile of lamps with out overheating and failing.