No power to PTO of Hydraulics after Clutch replacement

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

skyrydr2

Re: No power to PTO of Hydraulics after Clutch replacement

Post by skyrydr2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:33 am

Is the pto disc new? And was the flywheel worn where the disc contacts it? Same for the center plate between the discs?
I'm with Ollek on this , sounds like the entire clutch assembly needs an experts eye to sort it out! Something is assembled wrong or worn out and not noticed?
The tractor drives off the second clutch disc sandwitched between the center plate and preasure plate. The pto disc is driven off the flywheel inner surface and center plate.
If some how the clearance is too great or say the center plate is cocking and getting stuck because the 3 springs that push it out are missing or messed up ? will cause all kinds of grief.

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:31 pm

fajja wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:25 pm
So i finally got up to check out the tractor, skooshed the clutch with brake cleaner, gave it a wee run to see how it was, the hydraulics lifted and and the pto turned but by the time i lined up to the topper, the hydraulics and pto had stopped again.

I had a wee look for a the pto clutch screws...one of them was sheared, and upon further inspection i see there's a bolt missing from around the outside of the clutch?!

So it looks like I'll have to put it in my shed, and split it after all. really not what I had hoped for.

Do you reckon it will need an entire clutch assemblly? I can't see the missing bolt anywhere!

this is a dowel point not a missing bolt ,and the cover is shaped like this possibly to let the dust out!

db2d

Post by db2d » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:13 pm

I think for some reason the cover assembly is distorted, it should be in contact with the flywheel at the locating dowl point.

ollek

Post by ollek » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:10 am

db2d is right, the clutch cover must be in contact with the flywheel at all points where there is a bolt or a dowel, without using any force or tightening of bolts. If not, then the cover is distorted, and must be changed. A new clutch cover is lightly machined so that all these points are completely flat and in line. "to let the dust out", what ????

rid54

Post by rid54 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:03 am

Between the mounting and location holes in the pressure plate, there are areas where the pressure plate does not contact the surface of the flywheel, a sort of opening between the two components. At least that is what it looks like in the pictures on the first page of this thread. The pressure plate in these pictures does indeed look "twisted", much like it had been tightened with one dowel not aligned to its hole in the pressure plate (or some similar mishap). Some dust will probably be produced by the driven plates as the clutch is used and worn over time - some of this dust will be thrown out through whatever openings are present in the clutch assembly, by centrifugal forces, and end up inside the clutch cover.

fajja

Post by fajja » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:47 pm

db2d wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:36 am
The gap should be 0.070 inches with new drive plates.

I do not recognise your measurements. To achieve the correct measurement you have to use a stack of feeler gauges building up to seventy thousands of inch.
Hello, yes 0.07 is 0.070 inches i used imperial gauges. I haven't had a chance to strip it down again yet, hopefully soon. its sounding like its going to have to be fully split again! what began as a simple "oh i can sort that leak for you" has resulted in the poor tractor being left in the field all alone :(

thanks again for everyone's input, i'll keep you updated

fajja

Post by fajja » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:33 pm

Well we finally got time and space to split the tractor for a third time... (without the "mechanic")

He put the wrong size pto clutch plate in it! Its so big it can just free wheels on the shaft.

Now looking for the proper size to replace it with... which is proving to be harder than I thought!

If i recall right, Vapormatic had them on their site, but at the moment their site is down.

Can anyone confirm the dimensions? its a 10spline shaft for sure

Cheers! (progress!)

db2d

Post by db2d » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:50 am

Contact davidbrownparts.com They post worldwide.

fajja

Post by fajja » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:44 am

So if my research is right, I'm looking for a PTO clutch disc with 10 inch diamter, 10spline for a 7/8 inch shaft? The one the "mechanic" put in measures 1 1/8th diamter hole, far too big!

Item S.19639 on the sparex catalogue.... which you can guess is no longer available! :lol:

I'm awaiting response from a few vendors

db2d

Post by db2d » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:23 am

The PTO plate for the 770 has a smaller size spline than other DB models. I presume your mechanic did not obtain a replacement plate from a vendor who deals specifically with DB parts.

fajja

Post by fajja » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:26 am

I tried calling the vendor he got the parts from but no answer today.

Any suggestions of where to source one?

db2d

Post by db2d » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:16 pm

Try Barcley Williams. 01386 833694. www.barcleywilliams.co.uk

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:32 pm

have you kept the old pto plate.

fajja

Post by fajja » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:00 pm

nope the "mechanic" too the old bits away :( otherwise i'd have got it remanufactured

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:26 pm

hmmm thats handy,i maybe able to source one,it has been discontinued by sparex, and others