No power to PTO of Hydraulics after Clutch replacement

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

fajja

No power to PTO of Hydraulics after Clutch replacement

Post by fajja » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:30 pm

Hello,

[DAvid Brown 770] -

Recently we had a mechanic change the clutch, however since then we have discovered the PTO won't work, nor will the hydraulic pump (the linkage worked, stopped, then worked again for a bit but now it won't go.)

I'm assuming there is some kind of adjustment somewhere that needs done?

I have adjusted the clutch pedal to the appropriate measurements in the manual, however, with the engine running and the clutch fully depressed there is grinding, half way up allows you to change gear, but the hi/lo selector is very hard to change.

Here's the interesting bit, rolling the tractor forward with the engine off, and the clutch fully down seems to engage the hydraulic pump and pto. When you start the engine the arms lift and the PTO runs. Depressing the clutch seems to "unlink" power to the PTO and it won't return, same with the hydraulic pump. This method doesnt work every time, but at least it shows it works when it works!

The Clutch change was beyond my skillset/toolset, so a friend of a friend did it who is an agricultural & HGV mechanic, however the crank shaft seal leaks more than ever! :shock: Really don't want to have to go down the splitting the tractor route again, need it for the 15th July to get our topping done!

Hopefully someone can suggest a fix?

Thanks in Advance

ollek

Re: No power to PTO of Hydraulics after Clutch replacement

Post by ollek » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:41 pm

The hydraulic pump gets its drive from the pto clutch, as is the hydraulic pump. The same shaft connected to the pto clutch plate drives both functions. Everything you have said leads me to think that the "mechanic" has made a grave mistake. I have a feeling that there is only one possibility, and that is to split the tractor and put it right.

fajja

Post by fajja » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:45 pm

oh dear :( just as well I haven't paid him yet!

What would the mistake possibly be?

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:31 pm

I will not make a guess, there are so many possibilities for mistakes if a person do not understand David Brown tractors ands how they are built.

fajja

Post by fajja » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:23 pm

That's fair enough!

Thank you for your help, I will try and find another mechanic to sort it!

I was hoping it was perhaps just going to be an adjustment issue

fajja

Post by fajja » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:25 pm

So i finally got up to check out the tractor, skooshed the clutch with brake cleaner, gave it a wee run to see how it was, the hydraulics lifted and and the pto turned but by the time i lined up to the topper, the hydraulics and pto had stopped again.

I had a wee look for a the pto clutch screws...one of them was sheared, and upon further inspection i see there's a bolt missing from around the outside of the clutch?!

So it looks like I'll have to put it in my shed, and split it after all. really not what I had hoped for.

Do you reckon it will need an entire clutch assemblly? I can't see the missing bolt anywhere!
Attachments
19723846_10155590112769165_1959427249_o.jpg
19723846_10155590112769165_1959427249_o.jpg (157 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
19720199_10155590112774165_1310445721_o.jpg
19720199_10155590112774165_1310445721_o.jpg (182.2 KiB) Viewed 3425 times

fajja

Post by fajja » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:26 pm

Also,

It was a rubber seal on the crankshaft which was put in, is that the modern day equivalent to the rope seal?

It will also need doing again, as you can see with all oil in the clutch housing

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:42 pm

Without splitting the tractor you will not know about the full extent of the problem, but the pictures do not look very promising. In one picture where the bolt is missing, you can see that there is a gap between the clutch cover and the flywheel, suggesting that the clutch cover is bent. It looks that the damaged made can only be sorted by fitting a new or refurbished clutch. The rope seal is the only seal to be used for the rear end of the crank shaft, there is no rubber seal for this application. Again a fault that shows how little the fitter who did the repair knows about machines and David Brown in particular.

fajja

Post by fajja » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:44 pm

Hi Thanks again for the advice, I was surprised when I heard it was a rubber seal!

I think i'll just park it up and take my time and split it, I will do all the oether wee bits that i've been wanting to do too, such as the free play in the steering (shims rusted / worn)

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:23 pm

I have to add that if there is a lot of oil, then its possible that the clutch plates are of no use anymore. Even if they were new at the time the so called firred did the job.

fajja

Post by fajja » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:22 pm

Yeah i agree!

I'll get myself a set of rails to split the tractor, that should make the job a bit easier, just need to tow it home first!

jazo

Post by jazo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:37 pm

Looking at your pictures I'd say the missing bolt is probably where one of the dowls should be
1394 4wd
1294 4wd
30D
990x2
780x2

cossyrec

Post by cossyrec » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:23 pm

My guess drawn together using bell housing bolts with out turning pto shaft will in gear. Hence centre forced out of PTO clutch plate. But what do I know

fajja

Post by fajja » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:10 pm

Well it's back together, just waiting fresh oil to put in it before we try it.

I think your assumption was correct, the pto shaft turns when engaged and the fly wheel is turned and then stops when the pto clutch is disengaged, so thats promising!

fajja

Post by fajja » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:20 am

ok, so it drives great! gear changes are excellent. the clutch pedal needs to be adjusted properly, it feels a bit wierd?!

Same symptoms though, no hydraulics and no pto! will a corrent clutch pedal adjustment fix this?

when the engine is off, you can spin the pto freely, if you engage the pto with the lever at the rear, the pto is solid, when you start the engine it doesnt turn?

Hydraulic flow is very low, out the bleed valve above the 3 way valve, and theres nothing coming through the bypassfilter...

The saga continues!

good news however, the crankshaft seal doesnt leak!