996 loader problem

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

benl

996 loader problem

Post by benl » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:48 am

I would be really grateful for some help. The loader on my 996 has stopped working. When I pull the lift leaver on the valve chest the loader will life about 1/2 inch and stop. The link arms are working fine. Oil level is fine. I changed the main filter and oil not too long ago.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Ben

mart1602

Re: 996 loader problem

Post by mart1602 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:14 pm

lift arms shouldnt work at same time as loader,you need to move the 3 way valve

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:53 pm

You said "pull the lift leaver on the valve chest". Is there a separate valve for the loader? The valve chest is the Selectamatic valve inside the tractor and the lever for operating this is the hydraulic main control lever. If there is a separate loader valve, where are the feed and return to the loader valve connected? Do the tractor have a double acting spool valve, a 3-way valve or both? Is the loader double or single acting?

benl

Post by benl » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:30 pm

The loader has its own valve chest with operating leavers directly off it. The loader is connected to port 1 (the first port below) of the 3 way valve. The return goes to one (I can't remember which) of the ports on the camel humps. The lift arms of the loader are single acting rams. The crown ram is double acting.

I have the 3 way valve on 1, the quadrant on external and the hydraulic leaver pulled right back to select. All was working fine. Now the link arms will lift. Link arms work when 1 or 2 are selected. When I operate the lift leaver on the loader, the loader will lift up about 1/2 inch and then stop. If I let go of the leaver and then operate it again it will rise by another 1/2 inch.

I decoupled one of the feed pipes to the lift rams. There was oil in the pipe which spat out when I pushed the male end in.

Possibly some form of blockage from the 3 way valve to the loader chest?

Thank you for your help.

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:15 am

The 3-point hitch will NOT work if the 3-way valve is in position 1 or 2. Position L or1/L has to be selected for the hitch to work. As you now have given the impression that there is quick couplers in the lines to and from the loader valve, I suspect that one or more the quick couplers are at fault or not connected properly, preventing the oil flow to or from the loader valve. Try to remove the quick couplers and connect the hoses directly. Are the hoses to the loader valve connected the right way around? The "quadrant" is the segment the main control lever is working in, the switch for the 3 different functions is called "selector switch". You said that the bucket crowd is double acting. Is the bucket crowed working?

benl

Post by benl » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:24 pm

A former mechanic from our local David Brown dealer had a look at the tractor with me. We took the PTO housing off and took the hydraulic pump apart. The pump was basically worn out. New pump on order, hopefully this will solve the problem.

Thank you for your help

ollek

Post by ollek » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:15 am

You said "The link arms are working fine". The same pump is supplying oil to the 3-point hitch and to the loader. A worn pump will therefore have an effect on both the 3-point hitch and the loader as the pressure delivered will be low resulting in reduced lift force. The 3-point hitch can not be "working fine", if the pump is worn out. It is very important to give an accurate explanation of the problem.