need a glow plug

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

db2d

Re: need a glow plug

Post by db2d » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:04 pm

The movement is correct. It has to be turned in before attempting to start the engine. It will not work if an attempt has been made to start the engine for approximately thirty seconds, the fuel pressure built up in the pump has to dissipate.

peislander

Post by peislander » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:12 pm

i recently installed thermostart in my 880. the plug on top of manifold was coarse thread.the thermostart had 7/8 fine thread i retapped it.there was
a spot near intake of manifold that looked like it was cast to be drilled and tapped. but it would require removing fuel lines from pump for installation.
remove manifold for retapping threads so u dont get shavings in engine. How well does the timing retard on injection pump work for cold starting.
the t handle is broken amd siezed on mine. thanks

db2d

Post by db2d » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:34 pm

Thermostarts are readily available with the course thread that will fit into the manifold.

The cold start on the pump works very well.

housebg

Post by housebg » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:28 am

Where can I get a thermal start with coarse thread that will screw into the either plug hole

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:18 am

Ask your local Case IH dealer for a Thermostart that fits David Brown tractors. Look at the following link http://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-se ... 7ar1261083 The thermostart (not thermal start) has ref number 8 and the text also tells the CAV number.

testbed

Post by testbed » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:47 pm

Yes it only turns about a quarter turn. your exhaust will smoke a bit if it is on when running as the timing is changed by it (advanced) I believe.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:25 pm

The majority of thermostart units appear to be the same - I have bought them in the past and the same part number fits a multitude of different makes and models. Course threaded if I remember correctly.
The quality of new units isn't always brilliant, they can sometimes fail when they aren't old - some modern parts aren't as good as originals.

The cold start tap on the pump may be a good thing for some and certainly worth a try. However, I have two David brown engines neither of which are happy with the cold start tap but will start fine off the thermostart.

db2d

Post by db2d » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:06 pm

When operated the cold start on the pump locks the fuel injection in the retarded position 11degrees BTDC .
If an engine is not happy with this there is an issue with the timing.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:34 pm

db2d wrote:When operated the cold start on the pump locks the fuel injection in the retarded position 11degrees BTDC .
If an engine is not happy with this there is an issue with the timing.
Interesting to hear this. I'm not disputing this as I can only speak from my own limited experience of DB's but both engines I speak of run sweetly enough that I have no cause to doubt that anything is wrong with the timing.
I might try it again on one of them (if it hasn't seized up as I've not touched it for years) but I do recall it didn't like it.
Ah, while writing this I have just remembered that I had the pump rebuilt on one of them 3-4 years ago and have not tried it since - so I think I will give it a go!

housebg

Post by housebg » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:30 pm

Do you need a cut off on the fuel to thermostart or does it have fuel on all the time?

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:43 pm

There is a automatic valve in the Thermostart unit that when open, letting fuel onto a heated spiral resulting in a flame in the intake manifold. This happens only when the spiral in the unit is heated when the Thermostart is used (the ignition key is kept in the pre heat position). The valve closes when the ignition switch is returned to the run position and the spiral cools down.