996 Dying when working hard or going up hill

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

780farmer

996 Dying when working hard or going up hill

Post by 780farmer » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:56 pm

hello ,ive just bought a DB 996 with a q cab, i drove it home around 4 miles after it was dropped of and there were no problems,later that day i had it running and it died on me,i bled it through and all was fine.
i then took it for a spin and it died again while i was going up a steep ish hill,i dragged it home with the old 780 and then put new filters on and bled it through then it started.
i thought all was fine,i took it to collect a trailer and it then died on the way,bled it and it went,it died twice on the way home and had to be dragged again,we got to a hill and decided to see if it would bumb start wich it did,ive put in a new pin and lift pump but it still dies of going up hill,i put my foot on the clutch and it reved up so i dropped it i nto second it went for a couple of yards and then died again,but then towed it and it bumb started, does anyone have any ideas?

paperrustler

RE: 996 Dying when working hard or going up hill

Post by paperrustler » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:12 pm

Whereabouts are you on Exmoor? Have you checked all the filters and the gauze in the Lift pump? Could also be crud in the tank that gets sucked up when working hard.

case-ih1594

RE: 996 Dying when working hard or going up hill

Post by case-ih1594 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:42 am

It certainly sounds like its fuel (or lack of fuel) related. It may be worth searching for such issues in the DBTC forum, but I have heard people mention tank pipes getting blocked, or corroding off. You could try using the tractor with the tank totally full to see if that makes any difference. Apparently the feed pipe inside the tank can become damaged to the point where the tank is effectively reduced in size and may be affected by the 'angle' of the tractor.

DB780

Post by DB780 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:57 am

As case-ih1594 the fuel tank is a good possibility. The pipe from the tank to lift pump tends to partially block on the bend just before the pump. The push rod that operates the lift pump from the camshaft can wear, if this happens the tractor will run fine under light work. Did you cut open the filters to check if they were badly blocked?

780farmer

Post by 780farmer » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:59 pm

i have now drained and flushed the tank with help from a small pump,we put the air line down the feed pipe,my brother got carried away and blew up the sediment bowl, so he put a standard lift pump on for now,i haven't had a chance to run and test it yet but hopefully this will be the end of the problem,if not im not sure were to look next,
we filled the tank to the brim and it still died off,and paperrustler im between timberscombe and wheddon cross

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:14 pm

Have you checked that the small breather hole in the tank cap is open and that the cap seal is not blanking off the hole?

780farmer

Post by 780farmer » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:19 pm

i shall poke the air line down tomorrow and see if that helps,air came out the cap when we blew down the feul line

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:41 pm

It sounds like fuel starvation, there are a few possible causes:

Lift pump, but this is unlikely as you've replaced it.
Lift pump plunger, but you've replaced this.
Worn camshaft lobe, if you are very unfortunate. Cheapest solution in that case is an electric fuel pump.
Partial blockage in a fuel pipe. It has been known for an object (small stone, piece of straw etc) to stick in a fuel line and doesn't cause any problem until the engine is working hard and draws more fuel at which point the offending object moves and blocks off the pipe. Rare but it can happen.
Blocked filter into the injector pump. Quite rare and it's probably the last place I would choose to look as there's a spring and ball to contend with to check it.
If any of the fuel pipes are rubber they could (although unlikely) collapse inside and shut off the fuel.

780farmer

Post by 780farmer » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:49 pm

it works!! i flushed the tank several times and pumped the old deisle out,changed the feed pipe and it goes like hell! then the eletrics cut out (some dogey earths) but its all sorted now and works a treat