DB 780 or 885

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

pacer204

DB 780 or 885

Post by pacer204 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:01 am

I have finally come to my senses and have decided that I want to add a David brown as company for my MF35x.

Donkeys years ago we used to own a 780 narrow but I cant trace it. I have seen several 885's and a 780. All I want is a straight tractor that I can tinker with but is essential sounds and running for moving timber about and topping in the summer.

My questions is what sort of money should be looking at for either and which is the better model? I guess there are less 780's than 885's, but there maybe more parts for 885's? Either way, I would welcome some advice.

I have seen a fairly original 780, but the front end is a bit wobbly and it needs a new pivot pin and bushes - I can't seem to find the pivot pin anywhere.

780 vs 885! (I'm not considering the narrow ones by the way).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ollek

RE: DB 780 or 885

Post by ollek » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:26 am

The gear box in a 780 can be 6-speed (2 gear levers) or 12-speed (3 gear levers), non synchronized. The gear box in a 885 is always a 12-speed with gears 2 and 3 synchronized and 2 gear levers.

pacer204

Post by pacer204 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:28 pm

Thanks for the info. I've gone for the 780, hopefully collecting her next week.

She going to need a full service, whats the best engine and rear end oil to go for?

Thanks

Richard

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:41 pm

The easiest way is to use STOU (Super Tractor oil Universal), SAE 10W-30 (or 15W-30), GL4, in both engine and Gear box/hydraulics and air filter. The wheel reductions call for SAE 80W-90 or SAE 90, GL4. Use only mineral oil. Do not use synthetic or semi synthetic oil. The oils and the classifications mentioned fulfils all requirements stated by David Brown.

richbug

Post by richbug » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:02 pm

Anyone with a lathe and drill press can make a pivot pin, certainly cheaper than what it would be from Case.
Users: 780, 1210 Bottle Opener, 1494 4wd open station with 74L, 990, 1394, 1194 High Clearance, another 1394, 1194 LCG, 1290 with 56L, 900, 885 with LS8, 885, 1190

1200, 900 projects, 780,

Parts: 3800, 1200, 1394, 1412, 1490, 770, 885, 990SEL, Red 990I,

pacer204

Post by pacer204 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:38 pm

Ok, so thanks for the advice so far.

I finally had some time to have a good look around the DB780 on Saturday. She starts well, but runs a bit rough when at higher revs. Anyway the throttle was a bit sticky and she'd only idle at 1100rpm! On inspection some clown has bent the throttle arm on the Injection Pump and it was hitting the stop mechanism. That got removed, straightened and put back and she now idles at 750rpm. The only problem is that the throttle cable has now broken and kinked at the other end. I have just ordered a replacement for those nice chaps at Barclay Williams. The Agriline one looked too cheap!

Next, after running her for a while I put an oil pressure gauge where the sender usually sits and had a constant 40 -45 psi. I guess that will do. I then drained the engine oil and removed the filter. I will be removing the sump and clean the pick up gauze before I re fill her - that's for later this week. I have also started to drain the final drive boxes of the black nasty tar stuff. It comes out so slowly, I thought I'd leave it for a few days to get itself out.

I've ordered my new Hydraulic filter and gasket, and oil from Rye Oils - very helpful.

Whilst looking around on Saturday I notice that front part of the tractor, forward of the engine is 2 inches deep in mud! Not oily stuff, but actual soil, it seems like good compost! Anyway, thats been dug out and so has the crap in the bottom of the oil filter.

My plan is to get all new fluids and filter back in before I start spending money in the wrong places.

I do have question, I drain the coolant, its wasn't that bad, but for some reason I dont seem to be able to get much back in. I think it should take 9 litres but so far only three have gone back in before the rad was full. Any thoughts?

More again at the end of the week.
Attachments
DB780 service.jpg
Service time
DB780 service.jpg (214.85 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
DB780 Trailer.jpg
New arrival
DB780 Trailer.jpg (213.88 KiB) Viewed 2166 times

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:36 pm

It is possible that all coolant have not drained out. Disconnect the lower radiator hose and open the tap on the right hand side of the engine block. Use a piece of string to clear both the engine and the radiator drain taps.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:59 pm

It's very possible that dirt/rust flakes could have blocked the taps while draining and so the system's still half full.
Sometimes cooling systems can airlock as they're filled (always pour in slowly) but I don't recall it ever happening on a DB, though I've never worked on an 885 or 780. I often give radiator hoses a good squeeze a few times to get coolant moving and help displace air if I've any doubts when refilling.