Frozen or clogged fuel line DB 1390

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

marcel

Frozen or clogged fuel line DB 1390

Post by marcel » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:55 pm

Today I took my DB1390 out, and after a while suddenly it stopped. No fuel.
To make a long story short, I cannot get fuel from the feeding / primer pump into the filter unit. Primer pump works allright, but no fuel is coming from the fuel line that enters the filter head. It has been cold today -10 or so, so the line is either frozen or clogged, I suppose The filter screen in the primer pump appears to have a hole in it, doesn't help much either.
Now I have to remove the fuel line from the primer pump, which looks like a bit of a job in the freezing cold. Any suggestions for removing this line? In worst case, can I cut this line and replace it with a thin rubber hose?

ollek

RE: Frozen or clogged fuel line DB 1390

Post by ollek » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:09 pm

Frozen water in the fuel inlet line is coming from water in the tank. The proper way to deal with this is to take the tract6or into a warm garage and drain the water from the inlet line and the tank and then change the fuel filters as water have got into the filters as well.

marcel

Post by marcel » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:41 pm

i don't have a warm garage. The tractor stands in the field now, covered in blankets. I changed the filters a few hours ago. No ice there. (By the the way, where do I put the small O-ring that is supplied with these Perkins filters). So I do have to disassemble the feeding pump from the engine block to get to the fuel line on the feeding pump (on the back of the pump!idiotic engineering)Are the two bolts metric or english, otherwise I have to buy new tools first. I don't simply have no other choice than to remove the fuel line and take it in, trying to de-ice or declogg it. I replaced the rubber hoses between fuel tanks and balance tube two weeks ago, drained the tanks for all the fuel and found just a little bit of water in the diesel.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:55 pm

You can replace the line with rubber fuel hose, but make sure it's good quality stuff designed for diesel - I've known poor quality rubber pipe which leaked after a couple of weeks and broke in half after a month, after doing only a days work!

Diesel doesn't freeze as such but can turn waxy and block filters but it should still flow through fuel pipes. Your blockage will be either dirt or water which can block a pipe when it freezes. It could be either.

The bolts and pipes on your tractor will be imperial, though sometimes metric spanners are close enough if things aren't too tight. For example, 14mm fits 9/16" tightly and 11mm fits 7/16", 16mm fits 5/8", 8mm fits 5/16". 13mm can usually be used for 1/2" but is a bit sloppy, 17mm for 11/16" is also not a good fit and 19mm for 3/4" is a bit loose. For little jobs you can normally get away with metric but it's not ideal.

As to the fuel filters if the 1390 uses the type I think it does then you have two large square section rings and two or occasionally three O rings. The two big rings are for the top and bottom of the filter and are different sizes, but that's fairly obvious. The larger O ring goes on the filter housing where the hole in the middle of the filter is, this is very important - if it's missing or damaged unfiltered fuel could get through the system into the injector pump and damage it.
The smallest O ring is for the bolt which runs through the filter to hold the bottom piece on, I don't usually bother changing these as they hardly ever leak. If there's another (third) O ring it's for a water drain tap that is sometimes underneath the filter but I don't see them included often.

dbiow

Post by dbiow » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:39 pm

You could run a pipe from the lift pump to a fresh can of fuel to get it running and somewhere warmer to work on it properly? Not ideal but could help
885 q cab and 25d on the Isle of Wight.

marcel

Post by marcel » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:15 am

Thanks for the info guys!