Non David Brown Problem

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

rasher

Non David Brown Problem

Post by rasher » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:26 pm

Hi all. Sorry to ask about something other than David Brown but I'm sure someone will be able to help me.

I've got an old winget dumper with a petter ph2 engine. Its been stood for years and over the last 2 days I've got it up and running. The diesel was full of water so that was nearly all it needed to get it up and running.

The issue I have now is after about a hour of running the skip will not tip. Nothing seems to be getting hot but if I leave it for a few hours it will tip a full load of soil. There are no visable hydraulic oil leaks, the steering works off the same hydraulics and this seems to stay working fine, I even parked next to a tree so I could put some weight against the dumper when i turned to check the steering ram was at full strenth and it seemed fine.

if water had got into the hydraulic oil could this cause these issues. I've already put 25 litres of hydraulic oil in but I'm worried what was left in the system when i drained the tank might still be causing my problem.

Thanks for looking.

case-ih1594

RE: Non David Brown Problem

Post by case-ih1594 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:38 pm

Hi, I would have though that water / condensation in the hydraulic oil tank / system would soon lead to the mayonnaise effect where the oil becomes milky looking. If the oil remains clean then it appears there is little water in the system.

It sounds like it could be a perforated pipe or airlock in the system. Although the steering uses the same oil, the steering system is most likely semi-independent.

Alternatively a piece of debris may be blocking a valve, but I'd imagine the valves would be fairly basic.

rasher

Post by rasher » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:40 am

It does seem a fairly simple setup. The only thing i dont know about is if i need to somehow bleed the rams. with it being a twin ram setup with power up and down if air is in the rams it has nowhere to go. I've heard all the horror stories about cracking off a pipe and people loosing an arm from oil entering the body so I'd rather have someone tell me how do do it the right way.

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:29 pm

When you send oil into one side of the piston in a double acting cylinder, you open a path for the return oil from the other side of the piston. There is almost no pressure in the return line. A double acting cylinder is bled by fully extending and retracting the rod a few times. No need to open any plugs or connectors.

dbiow

Post by dbiow » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:05 pm

Is the pump or relief valve spring worn just enough to have reduced pressure once to oil warms up and becomes thinner?
885 q cab and 25d on the Isle of Wight.

rasher

Post by rasher » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:55 am

Thanks Ollek, Thats what I was hoping to here.

dbiow. I'll try and get some picture of the system so you can see what I'm working with. I dont know where the relief valve would be on a system like this.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:22 pm

I'd be thinking along the lines of something being worn and leaking internally (pump/valves) and thin oil from being hot. Does it try to tip, and will it tip empty when fully warmed up?

I think I would be tempted to try draining as much oil as possible and replacing it with a thick grade HV (not Triad, this beaks down at temperature) and see if that keeps it workable.

rasher

Post by rasher » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:08 am

Im tempted to fit quick release couplings to the pipes from the pump so I can plug my log splitter into the system. my log splitter has the same type of spool valve as the dumper so If the pump works i can swap bits over until i find whats wrong.