Cropmaster Low Oil Pressure 20 psi

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

youngron

Cropmaster Low Oil Pressure 20 psi

Post by youngron » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:10 pm

Hello,

I have a 1950 Petrol/TVO Cropmaster which runs beautifully, no smoke, no knocks, no metal in the filters and has a maximum oil pressure of 20 psi, any suggestions gratefully received. Many thanks.

Ron

JamesF

RE: Cropmaster Low Oil Pressure 20 psi

Post by JamesF » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:21 pm

Low oil pressure is a sign of a worn crankshaft and bearings.

Oil pressure is generated by the pump forcing the oil through the tight tolerances between crank and bearings. Once these wear the tolerance increases and the oil pressure decreases.

I assume the 20 psi is when the oil is cold? You will still have flow and lubrication but at a reduced pressure.

The cure is to machine the crankshaft and fit new bearings. Check also the condition of the oil pump and relief valve on the pump and replace as necessary

db2d

Post by db2d » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:30 pm

What grade of oil are you using?

youngron

Post by youngron » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:07 am

James F you have confirmed my thoughts, it's 20psi whether cold or hot

Db2d I'm using Castrol 30

Thanks for both your replies

Ron

tomwill

Re: RE: Cropmaster Low Oil Pressure 20 psi

Post by tomwill » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:24 am

youngron wrote:James F you have confirmed my thoughts, it's 20psi whether cold or hot

Db2d I'm using Castrol 30

Thanks for both your replies

Ron
you may be able to increase the oil presSure by removing the sump, on the oil pump there will a strainer on the end, remove that and you will find a screw if it has any thread left you will able to turn it ,one turn equals 4psi. cheers Tom W DBTCA

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:05 am

Ron,
I`m not a mechanic (James,Tom Will and db2d are!!!) - is she starting from cold and showing 20psi???. My old Croppy D (on millers 20/50 classic) starts at cold at 55/60 psi, when warm is 26-35 psi working or at tickover about 16psi - ok (ish) for an old engine.

If she`s at 20 psi at cold you`d think she`d be knocking like hell and also the pressure should drop when warm to 5/10psi you would think and knocking like double hell????

I`d either check the gauge (is it stuck at 20psi) make sure the pipe is clean and not got a blockage - I`d try a new gauge or get a guage on her from a mechanic. If she`s at 20psi all the time something`s not right.
Other option, the oil pressure relief has a lock tab on - has it come loose and worked free?? (on this I`m guessing).

I`d be checking this afore pulling her to bits - something`s not right here and it could be something simple and cheap to fix

Good Luck

Andy

youngron

Post by youngron » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:08 pm

Thanks for all replies totally agree somethings not right!! engine has 20 psi when cold, did drop to between 10 & 15 when really hot on a 20 mile road run through Welsh Mountains. No sign of knocking, running like a sewing machine. I have put external gauge on tractor and still reading 20 psi. I'll get her up on some ramps shortly and try TomWill's suggestion of turning screw on the oil pump.

I have some confusion over gasket profile for oil filter to block mounting, is it possible wrong gasket fitted could cause low oil pressure reading?

Again any help appreciated. Ron