990 won't drive but stuck in gear

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

morgz

990 won't drive but stuck in gear

Post by morgz » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:11 pm

Hi all i have just had a call from the old man, and our db990 q cab is stuck at the top of the yard. Problem is it is stuck in first gear, but will not drive, when you release the clutch the engine labours and stalls as if its trying to turn the g/box, but there is no movement. I have had the selector top off and sure enough the left hand selector is stuck (as sat on the seat). I tried starting the tractor in gear and it moved a little bit but then nothing. Any help would be appreciated as it is fairly in the way where it is

JamesF

RE: 990 won

Post by JamesF » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:30 pm

Remove the remote selector housing from the gearbox top cover again and align the selectors in the neutral position. Replace the selector and see what happens.

If it's stalling the engine it sounds like it has attempted to select two gears at the same time, there are however interlocks to prevent the selection of more than one gear.

morgz

Post by morgz » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:14 am

Hi james, i can't reset the selectors one of them is solid, ive checked the clutch and all seems ok

ollek

Post by ollek » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:49 am

If one of the selectors is in gear, you can not move the other selector, there is a interlock that prevents selection of two gears at the time. You must first get the selector that moves into neutral (centre position) and then try to move the now stuck selector into neutral as well. Forget the clutch, it does not effect the gear change when the engine is not running.

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:15 pm

It is difficult because of the cab to realign the selectors but one of them will move into the neutral position.

Whenever I have to do this I take a picture of the selectors on my phone to see which one needs moving. They often appear solid but one will move. This is a very simple job on a none Q cab tractor but is very difficult on a cab tractor as access is so limited

dbiow

Post by dbiow » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:33 pm

We used to have 995 that did this if you went diagonally across the gears i.e. from first to second. On the road you had to go from first into third then second or you were stopped pulling it to bits. If I remember rightly we ended up building up the ball on the bottom of the gear leaver to stop it poping out, I may be wrong on what sorted it but I reckon it was 20 yr ago :lol:
885 q cab and 25d on the Isle of Wight.

morgz

Post by morgz » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:30 am

I'm sat in the tractor now and neither of the selectors will move, i've had a 3ft bar in trying to move them but no luck. Really starting to worry its going to be a gearbox overhaul job soon

acs2703

Stuck gear

Post by acs2703 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:39 am

Like quite a few people on here I would have my Selectamatic get stuck in gear as the brass selector cups wear enough to allow the ball end of the gear lever to pop out - I have built up the ball with weld and this doesn't happen any more.

However even when stuck in gear it should start ok with the clutch in and then drive in whatever gear it is stuck in. Sounds as if it is something more complex than simply the lever coming out of the selectors - or it would drive ok and not stall.

Also in this simple case it's very easy to lever the selectors back into neutral with the lever holder/cover removed and using a big screwdriver or similar. Generally the selector just pops back with little effort.

Sounds as if something is jammed in the gears somehow. Mine has no cab so easy to get the transmission cover off but a big effort with a can removal etc.

Keep trying to get the selectors to line up in neutral but it does seem like something worse has happened in there to cause it to stall like that. I take it the handbrake is off? :-)

morgz

RE: Stuck gear

Post by morgz » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:45 am

Haha yeah the handbrake is off, yeah i also think its more serious because like you say it should be easy, also the cups are in good condition as is the selector ball. Not looking good im afraid is it

morgz

RE: Stuck gear

Post by morgz » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:47 am

Haha yeah the handbrake is off, yeah i also think its more serious because like you say it should be easy, also the cups are in good condition as is the selector ball. It starts ok with the clutch in but when you release the clutch it just labours then stalls. Not looking good im afraid is it

acs2703

Gearbox

Post by acs2703 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:44 am

Does sound quite serious - like maybe something has become detached - like a selector fork or similar.

Given the effort to get in through the top it would be fairly quick to drain the oil and then remove the sump cover - you may be able to get a view of what is stuck from underneath.

Does sound like there may be some heavy lifting ahead though!

morgz

RE: Gearbox

Post by morgz » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:13 am

Unfortunately i agree with you, already in the process of taking the cab off, rain has stopped play though. Once the cab is off i've got a marquee type thing to go over it while i hopefully repair it

acs2703

Cover

Post by acs2703 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:49 pm

Hope everything comes off ok to let you into the gearbox. The steering arm just needs a firmish whack to loosen it and then watch out for the 5 set screws at the seat end of the cover. Other than that I found the cover came off no problem.

Will be very interested to hear any updates when you get access - to see what caused the jamming of the selectors and then the gears.

Good luck!

rasher

RE: Cover

Post by rasher » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:55 am

My 995 does this. with help off here I found the LOW and HIGH gear cog had come apart so the LOW gear was always selected and when it was put in to H it was in 2 gears so jammed up.

bedwards1966

RE: Cover

Post by bedwards1966 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:15 pm

Just before giving in to a major stripdown there's one thing to try, as I have known it hard to disengage the gears when there's pressure on the box (mainly when on a slope).

Jack up one rear wheel, release the handbrake and press the clutch. Then try moving the selectors again. Might just be that there's the weight of the machine pressing on the gears which makes it very hard to move them, particularly when access is restricted.