990 steering play

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

bathfarmer

990 steering play

Post by bathfarmer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:38 pm

Hello to all,

I have just purchased a DB990 slectamatic ser no 800404. Driving it back to my place was interesting as there is almost 1/3rd of the revolution in play. I have a manual but it is very hard to follow. What needs looking at and what can be serviced with new parts please? Is there antone in the Bath area that I could tie up with?

Best Regards

Mike McNulty

db2d

RE: 990 steering play

Post by db2d » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:23 pm

Most parts are available but get them from a supplier who only deals in parts for David Brown tractors.i

case-ih1594

Post by case-ih1594 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:15 pm

There are several places where the play may be, and it could be a combination of all of them. Common places of wear include the ball-bearing race at the top of the steering column, covered by a rubber boot, wear at the recirculating ball 'nut' inside the steering box, wear on the steering shaft/bushes, wear on the splines on the end of the steering shaft. If you are unfamiliar with them steering box them more harm than good can be caused.

bathfarmer

Post by bathfarmer » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:16 am

So basically there isn't a well known fault and a common part to start with. Perhaps it would be better to try and source a used steering assembly without play. I would think with the amount of play(from the 12 o'clock to the 2.30 o'clock position) the splines on the end of the shaft would be most likely.

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:03 am

I have never seen worn steering wheel splines. Have you checked all ball joints, there is 4 all together? Check to see if the drop arm moves in conjunction with the steering wheel. If the steering arm does not follow the steering wheel, check to see if the steering shaft, and the steering wheel, are moving up and down when you turn the steering wheel.

erkki

Post by erkki » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:11 am

Easy checks first. When turning the wheel on the free play area from one end to another, can you see or feel the steering shaft raising and lowering in the steering column? If yes, it is time to check if you can tighten the bearing. If I remember correct, the part is the same which is used in MF 135, so new sets are well available. Last winter we repaired one 990 implematic, which has the same construction, by replacing the original balls in the bearing by slightly bigger ones ( I think dia was 9,5 mm). It was just a quick fix but seems to work. The tricky step was taking the wheel off. We tried many things but the working tool was a flat fork, made of steel plate, which was pushed between the wheel and the upper nut above the bearing. By turning the nut open, it pushed the steering wheel up.

W.B.R erkki

DB780

Post by DB780 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:39 am

You need to approach the problem logically to find the problem or problems. With the tractor stationary turn the steering whilst watching the steering drop arm, the arm from the steering box, when you turn the wheel does the arm begin to move straight away. If not the problem lies within the steering box. If OK turn the wheel from side to side and follow the linkage to find the play. It could be more than one thing so check through the lot. Most common problems in the linkage is ball joints or the splines worn on the king pins and/or the steering arms.

bathfarmer

Post by bathfarmer » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:13 am

I've printed your replies and will have a look today and report my findings. Thank you.

bathfarmer

Post by bathfarmer » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:23 pm

Looking at it today, if I hold the drop arm and turn the wheel I am able to rotate the wheel about 70 degrees before the drop arm moves. The steering columb rises about 2mm when it gets to the edge of the play limit. I am able to move the steering wheel from side to side showing slack at the very top section. I am also able to lift the edge of the wheel up and down again demonstrating the slack at the top of the column. I don't know what the internal makeup is but I'm thinking that it has multiple problems, both worn out bearing at the top and wear at the bottom joint. I cannot find a drawing that shows exactly how the bottom connection works. Your thoughts please.

dbiow

Post by dbiow » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:31 pm

Try tightening the bearing up first, if the colum is moving its very hard to see how much play there is in the steering box. In the past I've soaked the splines in penetrating oil for a few days before removing. If it won't budge someone told me once you can grind a spanner down to slide in under the steering wheel but I've not had to try.
885 q cab and 25d on the Isle of Wight.

erkki

Post by erkki » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:20 am

Hi bathfarmer,

The steering system inside the box is a roller screw/nut. They are quite durable units but I have heard about attempts to change some bigger spheres into the system. After tightening or replacing the top bearing you can estimate better the play in the steeling box components. The shaft has dense splines and it hardly gives any trouble but the fork which holds the ball nut has just two pegs which hold the nut and they can worn in the extent that they have to be tightened. Tightening is possible by removing some shim plates under the pegs. 2,5 mm play in the upper bearing alone gives 45 degree free play to the steering wheel.

W.B.R erkki

bathfarmer

Post by bathfarmer » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:27 pm

I have a better understanding of the mechanics of the steering column, thanks to the great replies. I took the top nut of the wheel and spotted a very good sign...copper grease. Sure enough the wheel lifted off so easily it nearly hit me in the face. Getting spanners to fit the lock nut and bearing cone is not so easy. I think 1 1/4" & 1 1/2" AF spanners which I don't have and they are very expensive and not so common. I will report back when I get the spanners and can try to tighten up the top.

bathfarmer

Post by bathfarmer » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:45 pm

Could not find the right spanners to get the lock nut and bearing cone off so we drilled and split the lock nut. Tightened it up perhaps too much as steering is stiff now but it feels quite rough and worn so for the sake of not a lot of money I'll replace the bearing set. I see that I have to take the column and steering box off so I'll have a look at the bottom of it then. My only concern is having the right combination of shims to acheive the correct fit as I doubt they are available. I could make them I suppose unless anyone has any other ideas.

bathfarmer

Post by bathfarmer » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:15 pm

I've removed the steering assembly and cleaned the brown gunk of everything. The steering box sump was half full of water and a few ball bearings from the ball nut although the ball nut had all 28 still in place, so another episode. I've followed the procedure and luckily I had the right combination of shims to give the correct and equal packing on each ball nut peg. I'm fitting a new ball set at the top of the steering column so I hope we will be good to go. If not, I'll have to ask soemone that knows what he's doing. Can anyone please tell me what oil I should put into the steering box sump please?

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:40 pm

Use SAE 90, GL 4 gear box oil in the steering.