990 Power assisted steering

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

huliesm1

990 Power assisted steering

Post by huliesm1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:37 pm

Hi all, new to group and have 990 with non-working PAS. No oil leaks in lines or on steering ram. So can this pump be rebuilt? I've read they cannot. Where can I get new parts or kits if available? Any help appreciated. Will try to post pictures of system but i'm not real savy at this. :?:
Sorry, wont allow attachment. Says file to big. Any ideas?

ollek

RE: 990 Power assisted steering

Post by ollek » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:09 pm

Leaking hydraulic pumps can be repaired by changing seals. Worn pumps can not be repaired, they have to be changed for new ones. Are you sure it is a PAS and not a hydrostatic (Orbitrol) steering. The following link shows the cylinder in a 990 Implematic tractor with PAS http://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-se ... 82ar990477 The following link shows a steering ram for a Hydrostatic steering http://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-se ... 3ar1298840

huliesm1

PAS

Post by huliesm1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:58 pm

Thanks Ollek; the link 990477 has the same ram but a different pump. My pump has 3 lines from it and the tank is part of the pump. It is gear driven. Is there any way to test pump? the year of my tractor is 1974.

thanks again

ollek

RE: PAS

Post by ollek » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:20 pm

I have never heard of a PAS steering with a pump with integrated oil tank. This is the link to that pump http://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-se ... 6ar1299233 This pump version have never been used in Europe in combination with the PAS cylinder (link 990477) but only with the hydrostatic steering. To my knowledge no tractors have been supplied to Europe with PAS steering after 1970. But there is a possibility that US had their own specifications that was for US only. The combined pump/reservoir has 2 hoses from the pump, the upper one with a 90 degree connector is the pressure line from the pump to the steering valve (Orbitrol) and the bottom one is the return hose. The valve is turned by the steering wheel and the other hose is the return hose. The steering valve is mounted on top of the clutch housing, just under the fuel tank. From the upper part of the oil container you have a smaller diameter plastic pipe and this is the breather for the pump reservoir. The pressure relief valve is a part of the pump rear cover (ref, 9 and 10 in the link). You can disconnect the pressure line from the pump and connect a pressure gauge to the pump. Be careful not to run the engine for longer then it takes to get a pressure reading, as the pump will work against the main relief valve.

huliesm1

PAS

Post by huliesm1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:03 pm

Thanks, that pump looks like the one on my 995 with hydrostatic steering. It is larger body pump and close configuration to my 990. There is no valve under the steering column. the 2 hard lines appear to go from pump to steering ram. The third line looks like garden hose an i'm unsure where it goes to, possibly to reserve tank, will find out later, tractor is 100 miles away. Sure wish I could get pics to upload, that would be a great help. Will keep trying
THANKS AGAIN

ollek

Post by ollek » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:47 pm

The following is a link to the PAS for Implematic 990 tractors from 1961 to 1965. http://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-se ... 82ar990477 If this is the pump/reservoir you have, then I think someone has fitted an PAS steering from an old Implematic 990 to your Selectamatic 990 tractor. I also think that this pump is a vane pump made by Houburn/Eaton.

huliesm1

Post by huliesm1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:45 pm

Thanks Ollek but that is not the pump I have. I will do more research on what I do have. You may be right n saying it may be a US only fitted pump. How can I find out how to post photos?

wheelbarrow

Post by wheelbarrow » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:30 pm

To resize your photos open them in a program called Paint, it's on most Windows computers. Then resize till you find a size the site will accept.
Hope it helps
Current shed contents
1983 David Brown 1190
1963 Massey 35x been in the family from new.
Massey Ferguson 50 H digger. Better than a spade

huliesm1

Post by huliesm1 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:09 pm

Thanks for your help Ollek. Took grill off and found tank for fluid up high and out of sight, put in about 1 quart or so and started tractor up and all works as it should.I assume the PO did not know it was there either. Again, thank you.