Starting problem. Help

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

mlong5967

Starting problem. Help

Post by mlong5967 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:50 pm

Hey guys, me again. I need some thoughts before I start buying parts.
I have a '76 990 diesel selectamatic. I am in Michigan, USA. If you are unaware it is winter here and there have been a few weeks of low temps (0 to 10 degrees f.) I have been using the tractor every few days to move snow or haul hay and so I keep a charger on the battery at night when I know I will have to start it up the next day. I keep it in a non heated pole barn when not using it. It is equipped with a block heater and thermostart.
What I have been doing is keeping the battery on charger, running the block heater for an hour or more and running a salamander long enough to get the air temp in the building up into the high 20's I have had a lot of luck like this so far... But the other day when I was trying to get it started I let it turn (crank) a little longer than usual and I got a bit of smoke from the area of the starter when I stopped. I tried again but could tell the battery was going dead so I stopped so the charger could charge the battery back up. After about 2 hours I returned and tried to start it again but I am now getting a clicking noise from the solenoid. I have checked cables, connections, and voltages. When I jump the solenoid I get nothing.
Ideas, questions, help?
Mark
Mark C. Long

odin

RE: Starting problem. Help

Post by odin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:43 pm

Is the battery big enough or is it getting old? There is a good video on utube on battery testing. Checking each individual cell with a volt meter. If the battery is dying after a few cranks, sounds tired.

richbug

Post by richbug » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:58 pm

Probably dirty connections on the cables at the starter. disconnect battery, unbolt wires at starter clean all connection surfaces with emory cloth or a file and reassemble. Clean battery terminals too.

Other option is you let the magic smoke out of the starter.

You can buy replacement Lucas smoke, try at the link below, but it doesn't come cheap. :) :) :) For reference, best not to crank more than 20-30 seconds, or you have a chance of damaging the starter.

http://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html
Users: 780, 1210 Bottle Opener, 1494 4wd open station with 74L, 990, 1394, 1194 High Clearance, another 1394, 1194 LCG, 1290 with 56L, 900, 885 with LS8, 885, 1190

1200, 900 projects, 780,

Parts: 3800, 1200, 1394, 1412, 1490, 770, 885, 990SEL, Red 990I,

jules

Post by jules » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:55 am

The smoke is a bit of a worry if it's electrical.

First though, because it's the cheapest possibility, it would be wise to check the condition of the battery before replacing other v expensive parts.

It's sometimes useful to leave batteries on a charger but NOT one that has a high capacity. Small, cheap chargers are great and it works well to combine them with a timer so you only charge say an hour a day. A medium capacity charger can overcharge, cause gassing, plate damage and battery death but again, you could use one safely with a timer.

wheelbarrow

Post by wheelbarrow » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:13 pm

I had a similar problem on an MF digger, which I thought was starter solenoid, took that off and cleaned it all up, still the same, took the starter apart and gave it a good clean right through, now like new. :D
Current shed contents
1983 David Brown 1190
1963 Massey 35x been in the family from new.
Massey Ferguson 50 H digger. Better than a spade

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:36 pm

I would start by having another go at cleaning the connections at the solenoid and motor.

If it still isn't cranking put a voltmeter on the input cable to the motor, if it reads 12v you have a motor problem, if it shows less then either a wiring, solenoid or battery issue.

jules

Post by jules » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:01 am

12V is a fair way below what a fully charged battery should deliver, even if it's been off a charger for an hour or so. 12.6V is good and there's a quite a steep gradient of the amount a battery is holding between 12.6 and high elevens. Anything below 12V is going to be less than 50% charged. Older batteries can give a reasonable reading but fall off rapidly when they're asked to do something.

As the above posts suggest, there's quite a few possibilities so it's a question of being methodical in figuring it out.