David Brown 780 - Altenator

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

diamadiss

David Brown 780 - Altenator

Post by diamadiss » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:45 pm

Hello,
I want to install in my David Brown 780 Selectamatic a generator like has the David Brown 990 Selectamatic which has the voltage regulator embedded and not extra like the generator of 780 Selectamatic. Do you know if the generator of 990 (or different model of David Brown which has the same type of generator) fits on David brown 780 Selectamatic and which is the part number (because I want to buy the original generator from CASE IH).

Picture 1 -The original DB 780 generator:

Picture 2 -The type of generator that I want to install in my DB:

John_Allen

RE: David Brown 780 - Altenator

Post by John_Allen » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:39 am

780s weren't normally fitted with an alternator but you can convert to one if you use a mounting from an 885. The later ones had alternators but some earlier ones had dynamos so make sure you get a bracket from an alternator-equipped one!

You will need to alter the wiring - there is an FAQ (on main menu) that deals with this.

However, I still say that a good dynamo and control box is just as good as an alternator on these older machines, Both my tractors have dynamos and I have had few problems with them. Similarly, the Ferguson I owned still had it's original dynamo when I bought it - and when I sold it. A recently deceased friend had a MF135 that he bought in 1968 and it still has its original dynamo and he had little trouble with that until he stopped using it regularly.

diamadiss

Re: RE: David Brown 780 - Altenator

Post by diamadiss » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:01 pm

Ok. Thanks for the reply. The David Brown 780 which dynamo have installed originally? This with 11 Apmere (part number: K913986) or with 22 Ampere (part number: K928643)?

SteveCollett

RE: Re: RE: David Brown 780 - Altenator

Post by SteveCollett » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:26 pm

if you bodge an alternator on to the tractor , and I have done many, be very careful to space the attachment bolts very carefully.
If you over tighten the those aluminium pivots they will crack off just like that. so plenty of washers on hand