885 poor starting

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

nickhixon

885 poor starting

Post by nickhixon » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:31 pm

Hi
My little 885 has starting problems in the cold,I have fitted a heater plug,cold start on pump seems to work,but stil needs a sniff ,have fitted new battery but still seems to turn over quite slow,are these starters often lazy ,I have had it reconded but not shaw how good a joe was made as still the same. Does any one have any ideas why else this is slow turning over,was thinking of buying a new starter if that would help .any ideas please thanks in advance

odin

RE: 885 poor starting

Post by odin » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:20 pm

Go through all the earthing. Clean the starter motor bolting face to the block with wire wool and clean engine oil, get it shinning. Then put a fresh clean earth cable from the battery to the chassis. See if this improves the starter motors performance when turning the engine over, should be fast and furious, not sluggish.

acs2703

Starting

Post by acs2703 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:43 am

I had similar issues - a new proper spec battery made a big difference for me but then after cutting out issues due to fuel starvation I found a huge difference with cleaning out the fuel supply. I had a partial blockage in the pipe that runs down to from the tank to the top of the lift pump. I cleaned out the line with air hose, blew the air hose into the tank outlet to clear that and cleaned the mesh in the lift pump. I already had brand new fuel filters so knew these were good.
After this is starts from cold in just a few turns - totally different to the cranking it used to take.
I would give the fuel supply lines a good clean with new fuel filters. Totally transformed my 885 starting. May not help you in this instance but couldn't do any harm either.

Gard

RE: Starting

Post by Gard » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:40 pm

I had similar issues with my 990 implematic. When the starter finally quit I brought it to the starter repair shop, he said it was beyond repair and sold me a replacement (likely Chinese) he also said a lot of old tractors have had the original battery cables replaced with universal ones from the auto parts store (he was right) he made up a set of cables about the size of a garden hose. The tractor turns over about twice as fast as it ever did. Money well spent.

The best trick I learned from this forum is to point the flame from a propane blow torch into the ether plug hole. This works fantastic, makes me smile every time. I will never use ether again. An electric hot air gun also works but seems less fun.

I like to also plug in the tank type block heater when it is below freezing. I don't think my cold start valve has ever worked properly but a pump rebuild is pretty low on the list.