Battery Tray/Box

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:28 am

This is the `best` vertical picture I can come up with from Stuarts book but it is on a VAK1 - I think they had the same battery carrier as the VAK1A and C but perhaps Cliff may know better than me???

They are more of a squareish type with rounded ends - not obviously oblong.

I will say one thing here though - on one thread (oil filler cap) we have a poster questioning the fit and standard of an item of a well known DB supplier who takes the DB job very seriously (in fact DB only no other parts, unlike the multi franchise classis parts supplier) and yet on here is quite happy to recommend an item @ £66 which at least judging by the pictures will not fit at all unless you take a hacksaw to it or completely alter the battery box which then throws the OP`s desire for keeping it original out of the window.!!!.

Perhaps if we were to treat this as a discussion forum rather than a throwaway `matter of fact`(a fair percentage matter of wrong some of the time) forum and stopped trying to out clever each other all the time we would all get along a lot better.

Cheers

Andy.
Attachments
IMG_1880.JPG
IMG_1880.JPG (149.23 KiB) Viewed 5290 times

db2d

Post by db2d » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:42 am

The battery and cover is the same on the VAK1 as the Cropmaster but the carrier is mounted differently to allow for the shorter wheelbase.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:12 am

broadsword wrote: Perhaps if we were to treat this as a discussion forum rather than a throwaway `matter of fact`(a fair percentage matter of wrong some of the time) forum and stopped trying to out clever each other all the time we would all get along a lot better.
Cheers
Andy.
I like that paragraph Andrew but rest assured that I am watching this topic as well as others and presumably like you I am getting very annoyed about the petty point scoring that emanates mainly from one particular poster.

A response such as "I don't need any anyway as I have a good stock of the original caps so let's leave it there." on the oil filler cap topic was very aggravating and completely unnecessary.
As I say, I am watching.
:wink:
ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:26 am

I think that sarcastic oily rag comments need addressing as well!

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:01 pm

Powerrabbit wrote:I think that sarcastic oily rag comments need addressing as well!

You just cannot shut up can you ? I actually found the oily rag post quite amusing. I will email you with instructions as to how to access this site again in 7 days time. Please learn a lesson from this experience.

If anyone is in any doubt about the meaning of the above the result is that Powerrabbit has been excluded from this web site for 7 days. This site is a mine of information from some very knowledgeable people, including the offender at times, but the constant one upmanship and the inability to discuss rather than argue about issues is not constructive and will not be tolerated on a constant basis.
ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:18 pm

I suspect most know why I left the club and "moderator's job". I won't say any more!

Other than: one farm I worked at had a 990imp that had an oily rag as a filler "cap". There was a very good reason though: if the cap was fitted and the engine started, the cap would get blasted across the yard!

manxmac

Post by manxmac » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:40 pm

I would think that someone will be producing a decent copy of a vintage 6 volt battery cover for the classic car market. Many classics, even my 1958 MG A type had twin 6 volt batteries with Bakelite covers with the battery manufacturers name stamped into the plastic. Mine were stamped with the Oldham battery co, Lucas, Dagenham and many others. Twin 6 volt batteries always seemed to build up deposits on the terminals and never produce the equivalent current of a 12 volt.

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:43 pm

I had two 6 volt batteries on my 990 and they were useless. They were also very expensive

barryt

Post by barryt » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks guys that's given me a good idea of what to look for.

BarryT

dexta

Post by dexta » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:01 pm

I don't know if this will be of any help, but I will say it in case it is.
Once I finished my rebuild of my Diesel Cropmaster, the one thing I thought was missing was battery boxes, although I was reverting to one single 12v battery instead of the 2 x 6v as original, I still had both battery trays fitted, on asking on this forum if anyone knew of anyone who made them, the general view was no one did. So I made 2 of my own, it was relatively simple and used only offcuts of 12 and 6mm ply, now they aren't dovetailed or branded with CAV, but copper pinned together, so the look will not suit the purist however on the tractor I have with the mods it has, it wasn't so much of a concern the lack of dovetailing. Time wise, it took around 2 hours to cut, fettle, sand and pin the boxes, then a few days to lay the varnish on, the result I believe is presentable, I will attach a pic to this post, the next step in the process now is to make the battery box/tray tops, which from what remnants came with the tractor were folded tin around a wooden cover.
I do not have any special tooling, the boxes were done with a standard DIY saw with edges being sandpapered off/rounded, then varnished in exterior varnish so I would say its a job for the keen home person. The battery tops so far have been 12mm ply with the edges rounded off to allow a nice "round" fold to the corners when the metal is folded over and I have used thin sheet, I believe less than 1mm thick, with the corners pop riveted. Again there was no special tools here, same saw as used for sides, coarser sandpaper for the edges and then these off cuts of thin sheet cut with a pair of tin snips and folded round by persuading the tin to bend with a wooden block, again I think a job doable by most people at home. Timescale around 2 hours for the work and extra time for paint.
See what you think, but please be aware the tractor isn't ever going to be a show winner, more of a exhibit line participant and still used at home for jobs.
Cheers

Dex

case-ih1594

Post by case-ih1594 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:10 pm

Good job.

dexta

Post by dexta » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:34 pm

wow, thank you very much case-ih1594, that's made my evening :)
Cheers

Dex

barryt

Post by barryt » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:44 pm

Yes very neat.

BarryT

dexta

Post by dexta » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:26 pm

Barry, thank you
Cheers

Dex