What year did the Vac1 C change front ends

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

djcaspa

What year did the Vac1 C change front ends

Post by djcaspa » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:46 pm

hi there. Was just wondering when approximately the front ends went from round to square?

dexta

RE: What year did the Vac1 C change front ends

Post by dexta » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:04 pm

im of the understanding it was around 1947, though I am not 100% on this, so I stand to be corrected by someone with better knowledge.
Cheers

Dex

djcaspa

RE: What year did the Vac1 C change front ends

Post by djcaspa » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:18 pm

47 was the year that the VAK1C Cropmaster went into production but they had the rounded
Front end then. I'm after the approx year when the square block front was introduced

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:08 am

The square front models were introduced in April 1950.

Cheers

Andy

dexta

Post by dexta » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:50 pm

I disagree on that Andy, my 1949 Cropmaster has a square front casting and this isn't an item that's been changed.
Cheers

Dex

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:53 pm

I always thought that the front casting changed in about 1951 with the introduction of the diesel Cropmaster.

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:23 pm

The Cropmaster Diesel was first producuced (production model)in November 1949, the early prototype had a rounded front.
There were/have been various rumours that the early ones had rounded fronts but I think it is a rumour.
The date I gave is the one in the Stuart Gibbards book (part 2) which is the date for the petrol/TVO (I should have been clearer on the TVO bit!!!)

Cheers

Andy

dexta

Post by dexta » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:55 pm

Since my earlier comment I have realised that you are after the date for the VAK1C front end, my apologies, I was mistaken and used my VAD1C as an example, this being 1949 with a square front. I will check the date stamp under it tomorrow to check it is the correct one for the age of tractor but it could well be that the Diesel Cropmaster had the square front before the Petrol Cropmaster did and that others are correct with their dates.

odin

Post by odin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:02 am

The early castings held water that could freeze and crack the casting, as a result some earlier tractors had newer castings fitted which could throw things a bit, I had one. One thing that I have learnt playing with motors is that you can never be too sure of their service history, where it has been or what it has done.

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:21 am

Hi Dex,

yours should have the square front fitted (all the diesels had them), there were/have been rumours that the first 200 or so built had round fronts but I once got into a conversation with Darrell Clegg and he told me none of the production models had round fronts but the early dealer demo (Harrogate Show) and publicity pics show a round front model being used (chances are the square castings hadn`t arrived!!) and it went into production a month after it debuted at the Royal Show
Just out of curiousity what is the chassis number on yours???

It should also have twin fuel tanks fitted, the first 5500 built had dual compartment tanks fitted.

Cheers

Andy

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:46 am

The rounded casting should not fill with water, freeze and crack because there are bolt holes in the bottom to bolt in the front weights so any water should drain unless the holes are blocked and if the weights are in there not much, if any, water would collect and sit there.

dexta

Post by dexta » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:58 pm

Andy.....
She has indeed got the square front, it has also got the twin compartment fuel tanks, as have my other 2 diesel Cropmasters.
For curiousity purposes, it is quite an early one, I would prefer not to say number out here as I don't know how safe it would be from "malicious" sorts who could use the info in a bad way, but if I said the date stamps on the castings were 14/11/49, that should give an indication of approximately how early it is :lol:
Cheers

Dex

case-ih1594

Post by case-ih1594 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:22 pm

I have also heard of the 'rounded' casting cracking, I know they should not crack, but they clearly do. Presumably they get filled with dirt / soil etc. The DB castings are prone to accumulating dirt, even on later Selectamatic type models, which have several holes.

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:19 pm

We have a thresherman which has had it's rounded front casting stitched back together

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:58 pm

The rounded castings are very thin.