Safety / Locking wire

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

martinwww

Safety / Locking wire

Post by martinwww » Mon May 25, 2015 6:01 pm

Hi,

the camshaft gear screw had safety wire wound throught the bolt.
Measured approx. 1,6mm in diameter. What makes a wire safety wire and what should I use?

Martin

RE: Safety / Locking wire

Post by Guest » Mon May 25, 2015 6:09 pm

It's nothing particularly special, just mild steel wire, find some the same size and use that and cut off any surplus after you've fitted it. Stock fencing wire is good enough. The idea of the wire is to stop the bolt from undoing itself and dropping out should it work loose but tightened to the correct torque should prevent that anyway, it's just a backup.

iglode

Post by iglode » Mon May 25, 2015 7:38 pm

Hi Martin
You can get the proper lock wire ,302 grade stainless steel. I used to use it a lot on race car preparation. Anything that could come loose was lockwired. Probably overkill on a tractor but it does look the part if done neatly plus it doesn't rust. It is available in different sizes and if you have the lockwire pliers as well it is easy to make a perfect job.
White Stream

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Mon May 25, 2015 7:43 pm

I use stainless wire, mainly because I ended up with a roll but it's very good for this job .

It doesn't break when pulled right like mild steel wire can

mistermcgregor

Post by mistermcgregor » Mon May 25, 2015 10:18 pm

The wire size is 16 SWG. It is important to use the correct gauge, farm fencing wire is not the right quality.

Post by Guest » Tue May 26, 2015 12:02 pm

I have just spoken to a very long standing D.B fitter who said that there is no specific 'grade' of wire for this, it just has to be malleable enough to work with but not so stiff that it's brittle, whenever he had cause to use wire he used the wire that came off the parts packing cases that came down from the factory.

mistermcgregor

Post by mistermcgregor » Tue May 26, 2015 1:46 pm

I am surprised that a a fitter working for a DB establishment would use wire of dubious quality when the correct item, cut to length,was available from the parts department.

Post by Guest » Tue May 26, 2015 3:18 pm

There may have been a 'recommended' description for locking wire but there was certainly no wire or a part number for locking wire listed in the parts list books!

mistermcgregor

Post by mistermcgregor » Tue May 26, 2015 3:51 pm

There certainly is a part number for the lockwire.

DB780

Post by DB780 » Tue May 26, 2015 5:46 pm

Wire ties like those used on potato sacks are good.

martinwww

Post by martinwww » Tue May 26, 2015 7:07 pm

Thanks for the input,

I'll give this a try.

http://www.skygeek.com/malin-stainless- ... ss1lb.html

Post by Guest » Tue May 26, 2015 7:50 pm

If there is a part number for this wire, why not tell us all what it is, we'll all know what to look for then if we ever need to.

mistermcgregor

Post by mistermcgregor » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:55 am

I am inserting this picture extracted from an original David Brown parts book because aspersions have been made regarding the authenticity of my post.
This forum is deteriorating fast because the dwindling number of people who are able to answer technical questions correctly are not prepared to constantly have to substantiate their replies and be drawn into irrelevant arguments.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (66.65 KiB) Viewed 6900 times

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:47 am

16SWG. nothing 'special' about that, you can get that pretty much anywhere. SWG is an abbreviation for 'Standard Wire Gauge'. 16SWG is 1.626mm.

mistermcgregor

Post by mistermcgregor » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:14 am

I am not going to enter into an argument, although I could, about the merits and technicalities of locking wire and its dimensions. This is a typical unnecessary deviation that degrades the forum.