What have you done to your tractor today?

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

deebee1290

What have you done to your tractor today?

Post by deebee1290 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:28 am

As the 1290 is awaiting a gasket I decided to go over the electrics as we have no lights horn indicators side lights etc. I thought check all the grounds, so with that I started cleaning, scraping and filing anything electrical connections with the chassis. Nearly all I found were terribly corroded. Then the mess behind the dash, Some blade connectors had come off the lights switch and fuse box. Some taped together wires had come apart. And a faulty fuse which hadn't blown were causing the faults.

I now have all lights indicators and a working horn!

case-ih1594

RE: What have you done to your tractor today?

Post by case-ih1594 » Sat May 23, 2015 12:36 pm

This sounds like a vast improvement. I find DB electrics are usually fine, as long as they have been looked after and not messed about with. People adding / removing wires and bodging things makes a decent and safe repair far more difficult.

deebee1290

Post by deebee1290 » Sat May 23, 2015 10:08 pm

The idea of this post was so that other db owners could write what they have done with their tractors today.............oh well

brushhippie

Post by brushhippie » Sun May 24, 2015 4:00 pm

Alright then....after installing the front end loader on the tractor I had to re remove it as all the pins are rusted in place and I do not wish to have the bucket on there all the time SO....soaked them all down with penetrant and gonna go at them with a sledge hammer.
You can tell alot about a man by the tools he employs.

deebee1290

Post by deebee1290 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:15 pm

I see nothing wrong with your methods.

I removed the seat and the covers either side, one of which covers the control lever. These levers where stiff, so I thought I'd get them cleaned and lubricated. I found a mouse nest (vacant) and the whole area caked in mud, I'm surprised anything moved. I have also discovered that my black and red 1290 used to be white and orange. And I think the cab was added on too, as the original foot plates are covered by the ones for the cab. Any way all cleaned and lubed and all levers moving freely

brushhippie

Post by brushhippie » Mon May 25, 2015 2:53 pm

Oh I did finally get the india crappo gauges I bid on thinking I wouldnt win them (fleabay) they look great...may pull the dash today and have a look inside......see how many wasps I have living there.
You can tell alot about a man by the tools he employs.

marzfarm

Post by marzfarm » Fri May 29, 2015 6:54 pm

Well, my 990 is still sitting in the corner of the barn. This whole water pump has been a nightmare. Today i dropped off the water pipe from on top of the thermostat for the second time to the welder. Cracked again. I fear, finding a good used one may be very difficult. On a positive note, the stock Case Red Enamel spray paint looks nice on the fan blade. :)

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:07 pm

Sounds like you need to use a different person for the welding.

DB770.DB880

Post by DB770.DB880 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:00 am

Hi marzfarm;
If you need a new Water Outlet Pipe Part #K909026 let me know I have two new ones for sale,

mab

Post by mab » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:57 pm

funny this thread should appear today as I started up my 990 selectamatic for the first time in about 2years -and drove out of the cowshed. Earlier in the day I fitted an old voltmeter in the dash (to fill the hole), found a decent battery and fitted that and tested the electric mods done over the winter (voltmeter, fitted a thermostart, replaced oil pressure switch).

Feels like a significant milestone as I feel I've spent quite a lot of time on it over this winter and it hasn't moved in about 2 years.

Not today, but since the tractor last moved (and mostly since last autumn) I've: had the reduction boxes off, replace the brake linings, drilled out and retapped the stud/bolt holes in the reduction boxes, welded turned and re-bushed the diff lock pedal, made a pair of wings, made a brake pedal link bar, adjusted the clutch, plumbed in the new thermostart, had the injectors reconditioned (actually I think I did start it up after doing them), bashed the worst of the dents out of the bonnet and welded it up enough to stop it flopping about when the tractor moves, adjusted the front wheel bearings, drilled out and retapped two wheel studs, freed up the track-rod width setting holes and tracking adjustments and set the tracking, tried to free up the front axle width adjustments (but not succeeded yet).

I'm not going to start listing what still needs doing.

mlong5967

Post by mlong5967 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:02 pm

Today? Well since you asked... I decided to do some paint touch up and replace a couple hydraulic hoses on my loader. I love working on my tractor. I am so happy that this 990 ('76) fell in my lap. I was not sure at first, never had heard of David Brown up until then. ( I also grew up and lived in city) But I have to say that I probably will not have anything else.
P.S. I have one hydraulic hose on the loader that just will not come loose. I have sprayed with liquid wrench several times and it is not budging! I wasn't sure about applying heat so I figured I would ask...

Thanks as Always
Mark
Mark C. Long

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:21 pm

Sometimes heat is OK (is it a rubber pipe that you want to replace, that goes onto a metal one?), sometimes it's possible to tap the fitting lightly with a hammer to free up the rust.
A photo of it would probably make it easier, but it's rare that they seize up too badly.

nobrakes

Post by nobrakes » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi, this might sound daft, if its a metal fitting ,try to tighten slightly, see if it breaks free that way then it might undo, this has worked for me in the past.

deebee1290

Fuel tank removal

Post by deebee1290 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:17 pm

The 1290 has been cutting out on steep inclines, so I assumed fuel. Sure enough the glass bowl had some sludge in it, I removed the tank also as I suspected sludge in that too;;;;and sure enough loads of crap in the bottom, so its all cleaned out now.

As a bonus I found an old filler can plastic funnel in the tank, which a previous owner had dropped in several years ago. Also I have found all the bushings need replacing, which I hope to be the vibration noise I have been getting at around 1400rpm.

Anyone know who would supply bushings K200826 from the UK?

dbiow

RE: Fuel tank removal

Post by dbiow » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:42 pm

I've used the 885 to cart straw, 14 round bales a trip on a 4 wheel trailer for about 5 mile round trip. I've also used the 25d to turn the other trailer round in the yard (towed with modern loader tractor) the 25d has also had the pto compressor on to put a bit more air in a tyre.

But I'm afraid no spanner work. As a bonus I spotted a 2wd 1594 (red) sat in a field with a post thumper on looking sorry for it's self.
885 q cab and 25d on the Isle of Wight.