location of serial number on my db 900 implematic ???? help!

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

grøftekanten-racing

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: location of serial number on my db 900 i

Post by grøftekanten-racing » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:42 pm

A friend has a db 850,the serial number is on the same spot as 900 as you description on the picture...i have cleaned that spot down to only metall,no paint left.. its no numbers to find.. can i use the number on the engine in the behind of the startmotor to search for the serialnumber??

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: location of serial number on my db 900 i

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:20 pm

The engine number is no identification of the tractor as the engine fitted to each tractor as they progressed along the production line were not consecutive, you may have had engine 1234 on one and 1257 on the next, it's the serial number that is the tractor's identification. If this number is not on the front corner look again behind the side panel on the top of the same front frame rear of the radiator, in the area just forward of where the bolt in the V section, sometimes if there had been a problem with the front end of the tractor it might have been swapped over with a frame from a 950, there were steering arm problems with 900's and changing the frame and axle and steering bars was the easiest fix. If you can't find anything then we can't really help you other than saying that your tractor was built sometime during 1958. I don't know what the procedures are in Norway to re-register a vehicle to be road legal but here in the UK if you have no proof of the identity of a vehicle you have to register it with a prefix letter Q for which you are charged a fee but if you can prove the age you can obtain an 'age related' registration number plate.

grøftekanten-racing

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: location of serial number on my db 9

Post by grøftekanten-racing » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:44 pm

Powerrabbit wrote:The engine number is no identification of the tractor as the engine fitted to each tractor as they progressed along the production line were not consecutive, you may have had engine 1234 on one and 1257 on the next, it's the serial number that is the tractor's identification. If this number is not on the front corner look again behind the side panel on the top of the same front frame rear of the radiator, in the area just forward of where the bolt in the V section, sometimes if there had been a problem with the front end of the tractor it might have been swapped over with a frame from a 950, there were steering arm problems with 900's and changing the frame and axle and steering bars was the easiest fix. If you can't find anything then we can't really help you other than saying that your tractor was built sometime during 1958. I don't know what the procedures are in Norway to re-register a vehicle to be road legal but here in the UK if you have no proof of the identity of a vehicle you have to register it with a prefix letter Q for which you are charged a fee but if you can prove the age you can obtain an 'age related' registration number plate.
okay.. i will try to find it,but if i dont find it i dont think i can register it... and then the tractor has no value..then i will maby scrap it..no use for a tractor if i dont get it registered...

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: location of serial number on my

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:29 pm

Don't give up just yet, there may be ways around it, I don't know if you have a similar system in Norway but here we can go through the Club to obtain a registration, I'm not sure how without a vehicle serial number but not beyond possibility.

grøftekanten-racing

Post by grøftekanten-racing » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:33 pm

maby i'll try to find and buy this front frame where the serial number is from another db 900,then i can register it,someone here who know if the boltet front frame from a db990 can be used on a 900 ?

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:01 am

990 front frame will not fit but one from a 950 will but you will still have the same issue in registering it, it would be the same as joining two halves of a car together, what is known here as 'cut and shut', unless you have any official written proof of the tractors original registration showing that or the serial number you will not be able to register it, you might have to have the tractor inspected by your vehicle registration authority and be given a new serial number which they would stamp in the frame on the tractor, saying this again not knowing your Norwegian registration Laws and procedures.

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:24 am

Iv just spoken to a very knowledgable person who was working at David brown when the 900 and pre implematic 950s were being produced.

He advised me of the following.

There is no number stamped on the frame of the tractor and there was no plate on the cross box. The 900 ID plate was on the dash panel like the 25/30s. If the plate is missing it may no longer have any number at all.

He tells me the number stamped into the chassis and the brass plate on the cross box didn't appear until the 950 implematic was produced.

I didn't know the answer to this topic so I kept quiet!! This information has come from a chap who was there when it was all happening so it must be correct!!!

richbug

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: location of serial number on

Post by richbug » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:58 pm

JamesF wrote:
There is no number stamped on the frame of the tractor and there was no plate on the cross box. The 900 ID plate was on the dash panel like the 25/30s. If the plate is missing it may no longer have any number at all.
Thanks for that. It explains why there is no number on my 900. I stripped every inch of paint off the front bolster looking for it, following the advise of an "Expert" here. Luckily, no registration, or plates are required for "implements of husbandry" here.

Rich
Users: 780, 1210 Bottle Opener, 1494 4wd open station with 74L, 990, 1394, 1194 High Clearance, another 1394, 1194 LCG, 1290 with 56L, 900, 885 with LS8, 885, 1190

1200, 900 projects, 780,

Parts: 3800, 1200, 1394, 1412, 1490, 770, 885, 990SEL, Red 990I,

grøftekanten-racing

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: location of serial numbe

Post by grøftekanten-racing » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:50 pm

Well.. i have no plate on the dash..no on the battery box,nothing on the frame... maby i can try to go to the registration authority and let them make a new number... if not i'll scrap the tractor..

Dieter

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: location of serial numbe

Post by Dieter » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:08 pm

As said before, I also don't know how it works in Norway, but can't you buy an identification plate in the UK?
They pop up on eBay now and then.

Or hit a identification number in the main frame yourself :-)
Know a chap in NL who has used his telephone number for that..
But we do not have any registration papers, just need a number for insurrance.

Scrapping a good 900 would be a shame :cry: :cry:

philipday

serial numbers

Post by philipday » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:41 pm

Not that it will help you,
but I have 2 pre-implematic 950's both with documents and the serial number is stamped on both on the top of the front extension pieces as in the picture shown earlier in this topic.

grøftekanten-racing

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: location of serial n

Post by grøftekanten-racing » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:50 pm

Dieter wrote:As said before, I also don't know how it works in Norway, but can't you buy an identification plate in the UK?
They pop up on eBay now and then.

Or hit a identification number in the main frame yourself :-)
Know a chap in NL who has used his telephone number for that..
But we do not have any registration papers, just need a number for insurrance.

Scrapping a good 900 would be a shame :cry: :cry:
If you do that in norway you get serious problems and thats ************ expensive... its so many rules here.. so yoy cant do it.. a id plate from another country is not legal... so no id/seriam number... no roadlegal tractor.. someone told me on facebook that i can get a new serial number.. but then it will stand as a 2015 model in the papers i think.. i will make som calls and check it.. and scrapping it dos not make me sad...i traded mine in a small old ************ of an gardingtractor so i allmost got the db for free.. it comes alot of white smoke from the exhaust.. burning wather maby?? Injector?? And its alot of strange noises from the tractor hehe..

grøftekanten-racing

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: location of seri

Post by grøftekanten-racing » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:40 pm

Do someone know of a engine that will fit the 900 bolt on???

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: location of seri

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:00 pm

The 4 cylinder 880 Implematic and both 950 pre-Implematic and Implematic engines will, together with the complete engine chassis and clutch/flywheel assembly will bolt straight on.

grøftekanten-racing

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: location of

Post by grøftekanten-racing » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:27 pm

Powerrabbit wrote:The 4 cylinder 880 Implematic and both 950 pre-Implematic and Implematic engines will, together with the complete engine chassis and clutch/flywheel assembly will bolt straight on.
Well.. i did not think of another DB engine.. becouse here in norway its hard to find another DB.. i looked at my engine and its very bad... i have a 6.2l chevy diesel v8 in good shape but i think its alot of work to make it fit the db... but i was thinking more about another 3/4/6 sylinder diesel engine that would fit?? Did they come with perkins some of them??