DB 990 (Red) With 3 Gear Levers...

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

dougal

DB 990 (Red) With 3 Gear Levers...

Post by dougal » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:50 am

Hello,

Can someone please tell me why I have never seen another DB 990 Red or White with 3 gear levers?

My SN is 990/AS/460819 with an AD4/47A engine (SN - 43887).

I have 1,2,3 & R Lever. High & Low Lever like normal but then I have a Normal & Slow Lever which works like a creeper gear.

Was this common in the early models and dropped later on? Or, was this an Optional Extra?

Many thanks & happy Christmas.

See photo…
Attachments
IMG_0255-003.JPG
Gear Lever Arrangement on my DB 990 (Red)
IMG_0255-003.JPG (183.72 KiB) Viewed 8365 times

JamesF

RE: DB 990 (Red) With 3 Gear Levers...

Post by JamesF » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:10 am

You have 3 gear levers because your tractor is fitted with a 12 speed gearbox.

John_Allen

RE: DB 990 (Red) With 3 Gear Levers...

Post by John_Allen » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:24 am

While James is correct, the 12-speed box wasn't very common on the early 990s (both white and red!). I can only remember one Implematic with a 12-speed box; that's probably because, as you suggest, they were optional at EXTRA cost. Most farmers around here would happily make do with two forward speeds if it made the tractor a few pounds cheaper to buy!!

And no, I don't think farmers are really tight - teachers are much much worse!!

tomwill

Re: RE: DB 990 (Red) With 3 Gear Levers...

Post by tomwill » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:24 pm

John_Allen wrote:While James is correct, the 12-speed box wasn't very common on the early 990s (both white and red!). I can only remember one Implematic with a 12-speed box; that's probably because, as you suggest, they were optional at EXTRA cost. Most farmers around here would happily make do with two forward speeds if it made the tractor a few pounds cheaper to buy!!

John as you have said it was an option a few came in here[ I think the price about 60 pounds in our old money, about 120 dollars] when the white tractors came most of them were 12 speed.Have a good new year John. Tom W DBTCA

DB780

Re: RE: DB 990 (Red) With 3 Gear Levers...

Post by DB780 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:04 am

John_Allen wrote:While James is correct, the 12-speed box wasn't very common on the early 990s (both white and red!). I can only remember one Implematic with a 12-speed box; that's probably because, as you suggest, they were optional at EXTRA cost. Most farmers around here would happily make do with two forward speeds if it made the tractor a few pounds cheaper to buy!!

I agree Tom farmers are not tight just very extremely careful spending money unnecessarily. :wink: :wink:

case-ih1594

RE: Re: RE: DB 990 (Red) With 3 Gear Levers...

Post by case-ih1594 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:23 am

... or rather they were 50 years ago when these tractors were being ordered.

In my area there are, sadly, hardly any small family farms remaining. One neighbour apparently ordered a new replacement John Deere with a few extra gears, or probably higher speed box, and it was an extra £2500+.

Dieter

Post by Dieter » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:33 am

Hi,

It might be export spec as well, we have 3 implematics here (850/880) with the 12 speed gearbox.

BR,
Dieter

ollek

Post by ollek » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:46 am

I do not think there was any "export spec". All importers in different countries had the possibility to specify their own "standard tractor". This was dependent on customer "wants" and local regulations. In those days the tractors were not built to customer orders as they are today. All countries had their own specifications for different models and the customer had very small, if any, possibilities to specify anything else. The specifications given by the importers could change from time to time, thus giving the possibility to offer customers tractors with different specifications "off the shelf".

dougal

Post by dougal » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:38 am

Dear All,

Thank you so much for the information!

My next problem is the clutch whether it is dual stage or single disc.

By the way I am in Australia.

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:29 pm

The serial number 990/AS/460819 will in my opinion mean 2-stage clutch (A), having separate clutch plate for the pto and 12-speed gear box (S). The letter B instead of the A should, if I remember correctly, be single plate clutch.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:39 pm

The 3 gear lever configuration 12 speed on both Implematic and Selectamatic tractors was not that unusual but was less common than the normal 2 stick 6 speed. I have seen several red and white 990's with the 3 sticks and also several red 4 cylinder 880's and white 3 cylinder 880's with this configuration 12 speed also, rarity will depend on how many still survive.

dougal

Post by dougal » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:35 pm

Thanks.

I have seen about 40 red DB 990's here in Australia and mine is the only one with 3 sticks.

We used to grow 200 acres of spuds and have a massive orchard and the 990 was our main tractor along with 1200 and a fleet of 16 corpmaster's for towing fruit trailers.

nate

Post by nate » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:03 am

Hi dougal,
Red 990 12 speeds aren't that common but they are about,white 990's with three lever 12sp are quite common. I have 3 and know of at least a dozen more in my area alone. Currently there is 3 white 3 lever 12spd 990's on gumtree,as well as a red 990 3 lever 12spd.
Cheers Nate

tomwill

Post by tomwill » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:14 am

Hello Nate there also one 12 speed in Inverell for sale the chap knows I want it but I am not paying the money he wants for it,its in great condition been shedded for years he tells me it starts on the button , its fitted with 18.4 x 30 tyres.Cheers Tom Williams.DBTCA

dougal

Post by dougal » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:30 am

HI Tom,

Could you please forward me the Gentleman from Inverell Details Please?

Many thanks,

Dougal from Orange.