n/a or turbo engine

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

rowland18

n/a or turbo engine

Post by rowland18 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi I have a David brown 4 pot engine that I have rebiult as it was all in pease when I got it but when it is running and hot it has reames of white smoke from the exhast I cant find eny numbers on the engine and was wondering if there is a way to tell if it is ment to be turbo

I had to buy a new piston for it and it was the same as a 1694 if this helps

Eny help much appreciated

RE: n/a or turbo engine

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:24 pm

The turbo pistons have an extra steel ring manufactured into it but don't tear the engine apart to see if they have or no as it won't make any difference to the smoke. White smoke usually means un-burnt fuel and this will be due to either the injector pump delivering too much to the injectors, the pump calibrated for a bigger model, 1490 and not a 990 for instance, or one or more injector nozzles not spraying properly. If you posted up some pictures of the engine we might well be able to identify it.

rowland18

RE: n/a or turbo engine

Post by rowland18 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:08 pm

Having some problems resizing the photos
Don't no if it help but the guy I got it off thought it was a 1390 but when I order the big end berrings for a 1390 they did not fit correctly as when done up the engine would not turn over
So I used the ones that were with it as in good condition
Thanks joe

rowland18

Post by rowland18 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:59 pm

Engine
Attachments
NewImage_750_751_90.jpg
NewImage_750_751_90.jpg (243.63 KiB) Viewed 5888 times

rowland18

Post by rowland18 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:13 pm

Dint think they are the correct manifolds as where not bolted on just chucked in with the engine
Attachments
NewImage_600_337_90.jpg
NewImage_600_337_90.jpg (54.23 KiB) Viewed 5879 times

rowland18

Post by rowland18 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:20 pm

Hope these help
Attachments
NewImage_600_1068_90.jpg
NewImage_600_1068_90.jpg (147.78 KiB) Viewed 5873 times

Dieter

Post by Dieter » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:39 pm

The block itself is no turbo block, as there is no oil return connection for the turbo.
Having said that, it does not tell if turbo pistons have been fitted.

As stated before, grey/ white smoke indicates unburned fuel / low engine temp.
- Have you checked fuel pump timing?
- Injectors have been tested?
- Does it smoke white on all 4 cylinders? When you remove the exhaust manifold, you can see each exhaust port of each cylinder individually..

Rare exhaust manifold btw, for an underrun exhaust, never seen it in real
Last edited by Dieter on Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:12 pm

If you look on the back of the injector pump between the fuel pipes the plate should be stamped with the model it was intended for, ie 990, 995 etc which may give you a clue as to what tractor it came from. The exhaust manifold is for, as we call it, an 'under swept' system.

rowland18

Post by rowland18 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:28 pm

it is the same on all 4 pistons
All timed up correctly
Would the injectors give eny others symtems like bad starting
As it starts straingt away and runs smooth jus lot and lots of white smoke

case-ih1594

Post by case-ih1594 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi, looks like a 1390 (block) to me (spin on oil filter). The under / downswept exhaust is probably a rarity item itself and could do with swapping possibly.

It has an unusual 'extended' engine oil filler, and is that a Diesel heater that you can see in the bottom left hand side on picture 2 ?

All the pistons should be the same style and weight (i.e. matching).

rowland18

Post by rowland18 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:47 pm

Could it be that the cold start on the file pump was left on the on postion could it be stuck as it turn and nothink happens
Thanks joe

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:32 pm

If the cold start 'tap' was stuck in the 'on' position the engine would pop and miss-fire. The 'extended' engine oil filler tube together with the down swept exhaust manifold would suggest to me that the engine was a 'marinised' engine, fitted in a boat and the lack of an engine number convinces me of this further. If the engine has not been run much or worked since it's rebuild then I would expect it to smoke white, if you can run the engine under load for a day do so and then see if the smoke improves. Enlarging the picture it looks like it's an engine that would have been for a 990, 995 or 996 or possibly even a 1290 or at the outside possibly a 1390.

case-ih1594

Post by case-ih1594 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:59 am

Hi, regarding the possibility that it is / was a 'marine' engine, there is a good chance that these had lager 'turbo' grade crankshafts, con rods and pistons, although naturally aspirated.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:11 pm

The marinised engines were nothing particularly special, the only differences were in the fittings such as fluid fillers, tubes and drains positioned or extended for better access as the engine would be mounted in a 'pit' below the deck. As for higher or heavier grade components these also would not be of any advantage, there is very little resistance in driving a shaft with a screw propeller in the water, a lot were directly driven with just a simple in and out of gear lever and another with a reverse gear, some were fitted with a 2 or 3 forward speed gearbox. There were many large fishing boats and medium trawlers on the coasts down here that were fitted with D.B engines back in the day, our local dealer serviced and maintained most of these engines on the Beer, Brixham, Torquay, Dartmouth and a lot of the other fishing places. These engines very often came without a cooling fan, there was no need for a fan or a radiator as the cooling was done by the pump sucking through sea water, you often see fishing boats with a stream of water coming out the side or back of them, that's the water going through the engine constantly being pumped through it.

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:29 pm

" there is very little resistance in driving a shaft with a screw propeller in the water". Not true, the power needed to turn the propeller is based on the size, pitch and rews of the propeller and this is therefore relative to the power needed to turn the propeller shaft and get the boat moving in the speed wanted. Bigger boats need therefore more power and bigger engines.