Whining steering on an 1190

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

wheelbarrow

Whining steering on an 1190

Post by wheelbarrow » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:48 pm

Hi all,
When steering my 1190 there is a whining noise. When it is not being turned it is quiet but as soon as I start to turn, steering is smooth both ways .
Thanks for any comments

ollek

RE: Whining steering on an 1190

Post by ollek » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:07 am

A whining noise when steering is normal for Hydrostatic steering. Nothing to be afraid of.

DB780

Post by DB780 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:43 am

Some tractors make this noise some don't and if yours has been making it for some time I should not be concern. It is usually caused by the steering valve (orbitrol unit)internal oil ways and valves. If it has just come on you could around for loose steel pipes, try bleeding the ram and of course check the oil level.

wheelbarrow

Post by wheelbarrow » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:03 am

it's been doing it since I've had her, I've checked everything with connectors etc emptied flushed and changed the oil and bled the system according to the book and it is better than it was, I'll just live with it. :D
Current shed contents
1983 David Brown 1190
1963 Massey 35x been in the family from new.
Massey Ferguson 50 H digger. Better than a spade

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:11 am

As said some steering systems were always noisy. That's one reason why on the. 94 series the steering valve was moved to under the cab floor , that and the heat generated by them.

A Db expert once told me that there is one hose in the system with a smaller than average internal diameter. It looks like a normal hose but isn't. If this hose has been replaced with one with a larger ID this can cause noise. I guess the reason being the larger hose leads to increased flow of steering fluid.

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:49 am

The wining noise comes from the pump. A gear pump does not give an even oil stream, the pumping is pulsating. People have tried to reduce the noise by mounting a suppressor in the pressure line from the pump to the steering valve. This does help a little bit, but you can not get rid of the noise all together. A cheap suppressor is a rubber hose with a large internal diameter. The hose has to withstand the maximum steering pressure times 3, so the suppression will not be that big as the hose will not flex that much. This is something you really have to live with.

case-ih1594

Post by case-ih1594 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:50 pm

Hi, you have probably already checked,or replaced, the 'v' belt - some 885 tractors seemed to whine as the belt was worn or loose.

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:58 pm

I think there are two belts on an 1190/94, the pump is mounted where the alternator was and the alternator moved up above and driven from the water pump

geoff_52

Post by geoff_52 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:50 am

I use to have a lot of whining from my 1690, It use to ease off a little when turning the steering,after a lot of investigation I found it was one of the steering pipes which passed through the floor had chafed over a period of time until the rubber coating wore away and left the braided wire touching the metalwork of the floor, I put a rubber grommit in the floor then passed the hose through it, that cured the problem, not sure if the steering on a 1190 is similar to the 1690 or not but my comment might help sombody out there, Geoff