990 synro 1972 road top speed

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

paul-jackson

Post by paul-jackson » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:44 pm

THERE IS ONE THING YOU HAVE ALL FORGOT TO ADVISE.
WHAT ABOUT INSURANCE ??????????

erkki

Post by erkki » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:07 pm

Puuufff.

Many things get simpler when taking metric units in use. I have exprience of road runs by 880 selecta, 990 selecta and 1200. 15 litres per 100 km is a reasonable estimation when driving on high 3 by 2000...2200 revs on rather flat countryside. A mate of mine made a trip to Nordkapp, Norway by a 880 selecta towing a caravan. It was about 2000 km trip and the average consumption was slghtly below 15 litres/100 km. If you want the absolute top speed, say 2450 rpm, it will increase specific fuel consumption.

W.B.R erkki

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:24 pm

Cost of insurance will depend on the Company or broker you go through, weather you insure fully comprehensive or third party fire and theft, in which case you'll need public liability as well probably as some Companies don't include it in TPF&T cover and also to what excess amount you agree to.

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:58 pm

In the length of time this thread has been running for the tractor could have been driven home twice!!!!

Take some diesel with you and fill it, take an extra drum and strap it to the link arms if you feel the need and take a few of the most common spanners with you, just in case, and give it a go!! You can overthink and put yourself off completely!

Once you've done it the haulage charges will suddenly seem much more reasonable.

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:01 pm

A kilometre is shorter than a mile (5/8th approx), but I suspect there was a typo in an earlier post rather than a mathematical mistake.

I did a "fag packet" calculation and got an answer pretty close to erkki's - but say again that these are estimates and that they can't be taken as a high precision figure - allow extra fuel!!

Obviously, the tractor would need to be taxed and insured to drive on the road in the UK but always check your own countries' regulations as they are often different!

case-ih1594

Post by case-ih1594 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:39 pm

Insurance - yes this would (should) normally go without saying, as would remembering to drive on the left. The insurance may have to be commercial rather than vintage (social domestic pleasure) and the tractor would have to be in good working order in terms of tyres etc. - in the UK it would have to be up to MOT standard (even though tractors do not currently need to have MOT's). You may need roll bar, tax, lights, registered with local vehicle licensing agency and so on.

Realistically it will be difficult to drive the tractor back legally (by UK standards) and the problems may only surface if an accident occurred, which may involve someone crashing into you. A high-visibility jacket would be sensible. It may be interesting ending up in court trying to justify the fact that you set off with a wobbly wheel that later fell off.

Incidentally we had a chap this afternoon who was in the process of buying a DB 995, that had had it's front wheel fall off. The bearing had seemingly collapsed leaving the tractor stuck on the road side and had to be lorried off.

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:34 pm

Do they bother with Insurance across the water :wink:

Only joking you guys!!!!.

I`ve seen how fast you guys drive across in Ireland - you`ll have it back in no time??????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmbJT0c4iqU

Cheers

Andy

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:36 pm

I think that what we're all very heavily hinting at to the OP is to take no chances and have the tractor transported.

case-ih1594

Post by case-ih1594 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:42 pm

I don't think the guy in the video Andy posted would worry about driving back 70 miles :lol:

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:50 pm

I somehow get the idea he`ll be struggling to see 20mpg as well :roll:

roscommon

conclusion

Post by roscommon » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:26 am

Well I am happy to report that I made the road trip without incident ,however not sure iI would reccomend it to everyone , however I did enjoying parking my 990 outside the pub while I had dunner at the halfway point, engine seems good, steering ,lights need attention

bedwards1966

RE: conclusion

Post by bedwards1966 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:46 pm

Well I'm glad you made it safely, well done.