Horn on Implematics

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

odin

Horn on Implematics

Post by odin » Tue May 27, 2014 8:03 pm

Did Implematics come with a horn? Tracing the wires (on my 62 Imp 990) to the dynamo, there is a spare blue wire. The dynamo works, there is power to the lighting cable which runs front to rear. But there is an extra blue cable?

RE: Horn on Implematics

Post by Guest » Tue May 27, 2014 9:22 pm

It could be the wire for the horn, a horn and the horn button was an optional extra, it is shown in the wiring diagram but the colour coding of the wiring is not. The horn would be wired with a live feed going to one connection on the button from the ignition key switch, then a wire from the other terminal on the button to the horn positive terminal and then an earth from the horn to the frame, usual place a horn was fitted was on the air cleaner frame up front.

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Tue May 27, 2014 9:22 pm

The horn i think was an optional extra on the implematics. The wire to the horn is purple and black. Blue wire(s) running right to the front on implematic 990s are headlamp wires. The only other blue wire which could be there and runs frontwards is the wire for the temp gauge if fitted. This would be green and blue though not just blue. One of the wires to the dynamo is blue/red. Solid blue wires up front are main beam headlamp wires, these were changed to blue/white wires when the selectamatics came in.

Post by Guest » Tue May 27, 2014 9:44 pm

You should see that some wires have a thin coloured line running along them, this is the trace colour, the headlamp wires are, to each, solid blue and blue/red, the second colour is always the trace, always the second colour, the solid blue is the 'main beam' as said and the blue/red is 'dip'. Implematic tractors, with the exception of a few of the very late 990's, were fitted with the capillary type temperature gauge, this was also an optional extra until the electrical gauge was fitted and then it became standard. There was no green/blue wire, just a solid green and this wire ran from the light switch to a double connector and from the connector two solid green wires went one to the number plate lamp on the back of the seat and the other to the small trailer marker light socket.

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Tue May 27, 2014 10:07 pm

There was a green blue wire running from the temp gauge to the sender or the thermo-couple as the book calls it. It's is wire number 20 in the wiring diagram on page 35 of the 850, 880, 990 implematic tractor instruction book.

Post by Guest » Tue May 27, 2014 10:40 pm

I have the same instruction book but that wire is not mentioned or included. It may, and probably does, depend on the date the book was printed and weather it relates to earlier or later production tractors, remember that there are 2 series of 990 Implematic and also a separate instruction book for it alone.

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Tue May 27, 2014 11:27 pm

Mine could be a later book showing the wiring for the later 990 but it does show the green/ blue wire from the gauge to the sender. My 990 is a very early one with no temp gauge. I don't think the wiring loom has the green blue wire in it so that wire must have been part of the optional extra temp gauge kit. I had what was left of the blue wires up front , I seem to remember getting a complete harness for the outboard lamps from a later tractor with blue/red and blue/white wires.

Getting back on topic I would say the blue wire would be the main beam headlamp feed.