880 three cylinder live drive clutch

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

zeus

880 three cylinder live drive clutch

Post by zeus » Sun May 18, 2014 8:39 pm

Help needed in trying to get my 880 implematic 3cyl clutch correct? fitted new plates the other day, new crankshaft oil seal, new bearings too, only now that I try to drive the tractor out of garage I get no gears and on closer inspection the thrust bearing is a good inch and half away from contact with clutch pressure plate ring, why and what have I done wrong??? answers greatly welcomed as the shows this weekend coming.
Thanks guys. :oops: :roll:

ollek

RE: 880 three cylinder live drive clutch

Post by ollek » Mon May 19, 2014 7:03 am

Have you fitted a new pressure plate? If you have, you may have forgotten to remove the hooks that keeps the fingers down for transport purposes. When you fitted new plates, have you turned them the right way around? That is the marking "flywheel side" to the front. By the way, I think that you can change (get) all gears but the tractor will not drive (move).

DB780

Post by DB780 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:36 am

It maybe, if you have not had the tractor that long, that the previous owner has moved the pedal in relation to the cross shaft to allow for pedal adjustment as the clutch wore.

Post by Guest » Mon May 19, 2014 8:53 am

You can't move the pedal on the shaft on an 880, only on the 770,780 and early 885.

zeus

Post by zeus » Mon May 19, 2014 11:07 am

Ollek the pressure plates are fine, only replaced the plates as they were contaminated with oil and looking slightly worn, PRs is right you cannot turn the shaft as they are milled in the centre only allowing the movement of the cross shaft to be removed from the housing,the plates are in the correct orientation but I cant fathom out why I still have the gap between thrust bearing and race???

odin

Post by odin » Mon May 19, 2014 11:41 am

There are two types of clutch pressure plates, live drive and non live drive, as I found out when I could not get a pedal. Studied the diagrams of the clutch long and hard before it was obviously the wrong plate supplied.???

DB770.DB880

Post by DB770.DB880 » Mon May 19, 2014 12:54 pm

Also check the Clutch Adjusting Screw, had similar problem & discovered that the cluth Adjusting screw had broken off. expencive lesson,

Post by Guest » Mon May 19, 2014 2:26 pm

Another thing to check is the position of the eccentric pin that holds the roller, the part with the series of holes on the outside below the clutch pedal.

zeus

Post by zeus » Wed May 21, 2014 8:53 pm

Well I've found the problem fellas, the circlip which holds the driven shaft in the gearbox had slipped out of bed resulting in the driven shaft going back into the gearbox when the two halfs of the tractor have come together when aligning the clutch,
job done little 880 can have its first showing this weekend at chipping steam fair with its stable mate and best buddy 900... :D