990 Implematic?

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

missingbob

990 Implematic?

Post by missingbob » Wed May 07, 2014 3:52 am

Hello

I'm new to this so please bear with me.

I have what was thought to be a 990 Implematic, but the compliance plate doesn't seem to fit in with conventional wisdom.

Your "DB Serial Numbers" list points to engines in this series commencing with 440001. My engine number is AD4/47A 36395 and the Tractor Serial Number 990/A.

My first question (before I so much as mention my problem getting the 3 point linkage to operate) is this:

While the engine number suggests an earlier model, and despite the absence of a "V" indicating it is indeed and agricultural vehicle, should I continue on the basis the tractor is indeed a DB 990 Implematic?

PS despite being useless mechanically, I do have a few manuals relating to DB hydraulics, but any tips would be much appreciated.

Regards, Bob

odin

RE: 990 Implematic?

Post by odin » Wed May 07, 2014 4:08 am

Welcome to the world of DBs and congratulations on acquiring a proper classic tractor.
Definately sounds like a 990 Implematic.

First thing to do with all acquisitions of a new "old" David Brown is to change the gearbox oil with fresh stuff , a 15/40 of 20/50 engine oil. Clean the gauze filter / strainer out with paraffin and get the new oil working round the system. Then seen if there are any problems with the three point link and lift arms ?

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed May 07, 2014 7:33 am

Implematic tractors was painted red from the factory and the Selectamatic models were white. This is the easy way of knowing what is what. Also, Implematic models have two hydraulic levers side by side. The outer lever is the operating lever and the inner lever is a marking lever. In Selectamatic tractors there is only one lever. The tractor model and serial number should be stamped on the top face of the main frame at the front right hand corner of the engine. The number 990/A you have quoted is the model number and this number is followed by the actual serial number in the stamping.

mistermcgregor

Post by mistermcgregor » Wed May 07, 2014 7:55 am

The DB 990 Implematic was,and still is, unbeatable in its class with the outstanding AD4/47 engine. I have sent a PM

tomwill

Re: RE: 990 Implematic?

Post by tomwill » Wed May 07, 2014 9:09 am

mistermcgregor wrote:The DB 990 Implematic was,and still is, unbeatable in its class with the outstanding AD4/47 engine. I have sent a PM
Yes Mr Mcgregor I will go along with that comment anytime.Cheers TW DBTCA AUST

SteveCollett

RE: Re: RE: 990 Implematic?

Post by SteveCollett » Wed May 07, 2014 9:21 am

There were a few red selectamatics. My father was upset when his new tractor was delivered in white, thought it would devalue the second hand price!

nate

Post by nate » Wed May 07, 2014 12:12 pm

Hi as Ollek has said you need the number after 990/A to give you the model,if you need anything for your 990 I have a few in the paddock to help preserve others.
Cheers Nate

missingbob

Post by missingbob » Thu May 08, 2014 2:32 am

Thanks or the warm welcome. I can understand why others hold those engines in such high regard. Mine is as sweet as can be. Starts first crank, blows no smoke, uses no oil, water and barely uses any fuel.

missingbob

Post by missingbob » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:52 am

Tractor serial number is: 990/A 449206 and was originally fitted with a rear mounted forks. The forks have been removed and the original? 4' length of flexible hydaulic fluid line remains connected to the tractor at, what I reckon is the transmission's sump. The other end has been simply plugged of and the fluid line wired up out of the way. Also new-looking plug has also been fitted on the top of the PTO housing. I'll try to post a few images over the long weekend. kind regards

ollek

Post by ollek » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:53 am

The tractor has not have any hoses at the back from new. The flexible hoses has been fitted by someone who fitted the forklift and the two hoses are (I think) the feed to and from a valve that was used to operate the forklift. This valve has been removed together with the forklift. Yes please, some pictures would be a great help.

missingbob

Post by missingbob » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:18 am

Please find attached photo of the 990's rear end. Note one end of the hydraulic hose is attached to the sump and the other end simply wired up "out of the road". Also note the silver cap on top the PTO housing...believed to assist operation of the now removed rear mounted forks. I also believe the lemon squeezer type knob fitted to the back of the ram housing may have been removed and replaced with a short piece of 1" galvanized water pipe? Mystery to me?
Attachments
rsz_img_0249.jpg
rsz_img_0249.jpg (110.95 KiB) Viewed 6621 times

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:22 pm

Regarding the "knob" on the left hand side. There is two grows in the knop that are working against two steel pins in the housing. By turning the knob it will pull out the locking pin for the 3-point hitch. I think that one or both of these pins has broken, and in order to get the hitch to work, someone has putted in a pipe to keep the locking pin out. This means that the tractor now have no mechanical lock for keeping the links up in maximum lift position. The chain gear on the pto shaft does not belong to a agricultural tractor. The gear must have been the drive gear to a pump for the forklift.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:52 pm

The exactor on the top of the PTO unit has been used as an oil return, there is nothing under it that would make this an oil feed, it's only the cover plate, that would be taken from one of the ports under the 3 taps on the front left of the battery cross-box. Look on the inside of the 'lemon squeezer' knob and you'll see two eccentric grooves, starting deep and graduating to shallow, on the round part of the shaft casting there should be a pair of steel pins with rounded heads that slot into the grooves on the knob, these as Oilek says, are broken off, they can be replaced with new ones but you'd have to drill new holes for them beside the old pins as the old ones are hardened steel and you won't drill them out, you need to drill the holes one to the left of one of the old pins and one to the right of the other in order for them to line up with the knob grooves, you've then got your lift arm locking mechanism back again.

missingbob

Post by missingbob » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:57 am

This mechanism we refer to, with its pair of hardened steel pins, is designed to lock the implement at full height correct? Is that its purpose? I'll examine in accordance with your advice next chance I get but... my problem is I can't get the 3 point linkage to lift up one inch much less to full height.

Pleas find attached image of my 3 way valve before brazing a crimped copper line to one of the banjo-bolts?

The taps are labelled (from left to right) 2; 1; and L

Am I correct that operation of the ram requires:
1. Tap L must be in open position, and
2. Taps 1 and 2 need to be closed?

Am I correct in assuming the rear mounted forks would have been operated by connecting hoses to either Tap 1 or Tap 2 and closing Tap L

I guess L represents "lift"?
Attachments
3way valve.jpg
3way valve.jpg (68.45 KiB) Viewed 6547 times

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:30 pm

Do not brace anything, try to get original parts. The tap "L" open and the others closed is oil feed to lift cylinder. Tap "1" open and the others closed is oil feed to outlet 1. Tap "2" open and the others closed is oil feed to outlet 2. The oil feed to the forklift has been taken from outlets 1 or 2 and the return oil has been taken back to the transmission by the extra hose you have on the tractor. If you want to find out how the system is built, visit www.partstore.caseih.com.