db990 stuck in forward second gear

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

steve2905

db990 stuck in forward second gear

Post by steve2905 » Tue May 06, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi. My db990 selectamatic is stuck in second. Clutch still works although it had dropped below min fluid level prior. Immediately before I had been stuck in an unseen bog. A bit of rocking back and forth got me out but then it would not deselect 2nd. Runs fine in second in high or low. Also in slow and normal. But as I use it for moving haylage I do need reverse! Any help and direction appreciated! :(
DB 990 Q Cab Selectamatic with GD90 Front Loader

oily

RE: db990 stuck in forward second gear

Post by oily » Tue May 06, 2014 7:47 pm

could be a couple of things the spiral pin has broken in the selector were it bolts on to the top of gearbox its jumped out of the selector gate in the gear box or the syncro has come to bits in the gear box.Can you select other gears ei 1st or reverse or is the gearstick stuck if it is stuck its jumped out of the gate and you need to take out the front and back rhside cab mount bolts slacken the lh side and jack the cab over but be carefull not to over do it you may need the rh wheel off to to make it abit easyer and then take 4bolts of the selector housing on top of the gearbox and with abit of luck and fiddling around you can but it back in to the selector in the gearbox it be worth taking the selector housing wright off and checking the spiral pin on the shaft in the housing

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Wed May 07, 2014 9:04 am

Is your gear lever just going anywhere?
if so it has jumped out of the selectors.
Is it a Q cab?
I am not certain on the procedure for a q cab
but on conventional tractor park on level ground brake on.
take the ring of bolts off under the rubber boot , lift out gear lever
with a large screwdriver or other small bar move the selectors into line ( it may help to have foot on clutch and let brake off while doing this. best down from seat.
once in line
replace gear lever etc.

steve2905

Post by steve2905 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:03 pm

thanks guys. it is a Q cab, so it seems that i either jack it up or cut out the floor!!! (which is in need of repair anyway so maybe an option!! LOL!)
I will report back if i get anywhere with it!

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Wed May 07, 2014 8:48 pm

It's nice and easy on the none cab tractors as it's all easy to get at. It's not quite so on the q cab tractors. I've done this numerous times on 90/94 series tractors and it's awkward. I suspect it's more difficult on the old DB Q cab tractors. I find the best tool for re aligning the selectors is the longest extension from the half inch drive socket set. The square end fits nicely in the selector pocket. Just don't drop it!!!

steve2905

Post by steve2905 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:32 pm

as a conclusion.... a farming friend of mine came over. Leant on the gear lever pushing it from second towards third, and POP!!! no banging, no cutting, no swearing ... :)