Malvern Tractor Winge

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

odin

Malvern Tractor Winge

Post by odin » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:51 pm

From being in the Malvern area at 9.00 am it took the best part of 2 hours to get into the show ground, why ? Because of the most simple set of traffic lights on a simple cross road that allows about 4 vehicles through per light change. We sat in a traffic queue to a show, that to me was not that busy. If I had been going to see the Rolling Stones in a boggy field, then a 2 hour wait would be understood. But some old tractors and scrap auction for a few collectors.
I did complain at the ticket turn-style but was told to come back later, only to have my whole ticket removed ??? at the turn-style?? So whats the point of a ticket, something very suspicious there. Should anything un-fortunate happen then the individual must produce their ticket.
There was no problem with the show, unfortunately I missed much of the auction and there were items that I would have bid on. After getting a brew, a bite and abolutions, twas 12.00 before I got amongst it. It was noticable the number of empty trailers that queued to get to the show .... and left with empty trailers.
The good thing about that show was being able to see many of the stalls who are otherwise just an advert in a mag. I spent a bit with G&K Jarvis, Agri-Line, Tool & Clothing stores, on the flea market and at the DB Club Stand. It is important to give these people some money to make the show and old tractor movement work. It is equally good to see other stalls, examine their goods for future restoration work when required.
It was good to see the Nuffield stand, a tractor that I do have some connection with but rarely see at a gathering. Speaking of rare, a Turner V4, now how rare is that? But I spent nothing with Mr Pughs Auction and brought all that money back up north and made a private purchase for a Db 990 Imp elsewhere.
Being a Northern Type, I am always impressed by the grand houses and buildings when travelling south in to the country, Malvern is no exception. But I am equally confused as to where all their brass comes from with a distinct lack of factories, chimneys and HGV warehouses. Malvern is not exception to this phenonoma, because of the slow method of both getting into the show ground and the amount of money they then receive with the few tickets sold ?
Would I go again ? Things would have to change to make me think about it. :?:

RE: Malvern Tractor Winge

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:03 pm

The traffic lights and the Zombies on the ticket gate, nothing has changed there then in 4 years, that's the last time I went there.

JJT

Post by JJT » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:01 pm

Hello Odin,
I'm not sure what other industry there might be around that area, but one of the most traditional British motor manufacturers are in Malvern - Morgan ! I'm not sure how much brass that would generate for the inhabitants of Malvern, though.
You're right - lovely countryside and houses around there.

odin

Post by odin » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:59 pm

Did see the sign post for Morgan Cars. Remember it on the tv when Sir John "trouble shooter" forget his last name (Harvey was it?) He visited Morgan and it appeared to be a few Grimstone Garages where they rolled car chassis from one to another for assembly and made nowt on the final product with a 4 year waiting list? They sold for double the money second hand. Maybe they are all 2nd hand Morgan Car Dealers in Malvern? Explains a few things about the desirable properties.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:17 pm

Sir John Harvey Jones was his name (dcd). Morgan was on a programme about building a kit car on Sunday last, standard or custom built to the customers specification.

cropfaster

Post by cropfaster » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:36 pm

Hi, Odin. It would have been good to meet up with you on Saturday. I had items in the auction, so set out from Leicestershire at 5.30 am and rolled into the show ground at 7.15. Having put my lots in place in the auction line my daughter and my self then had a nice full English in the canteen and then started viewing the show. its a bit like LAMMA, the experianced know what time to get there!

case-ih1594

Post by case-ih1594 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:52 pm

wow - a 'nice full English' in a large public event such as a tractor show must be a first. Call me cynical but anyone who has ever visited the canteen at Cheffins at Ely will know what I mean. Until recently your eyes were watering from the smell emanating from the adjoining toilets, before you seen the £8.50 breakfast that tastes like cardboard, and served by people with as much enthusiasm as cardboard !

case-ih1594

Post by case-ih1594 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:44 pm

Regarding the Turner V4 tractor - a fairly rare tractor with an awesome sounding V4 Diesel engine made by Standard Motor Company (Ferguson fame). Turner also made some V2 and V4 stationary engines for generators / power units, and some supercharged air cooled jobs. The tractors will make several thousands of £ in an auction, but like many such things ('luxuries?' the prices have probably come down recently.

Regarding the Malvern 'industry' - there is also Malvern spring water. A chap near us used to drive a 400hp lorry from North of Scotland to the people in the South because they wanted to buy lovely fresh water. The people probably did not realise the lorry was doing 8 mpg and pumping carbon dioxide into the environment - because there is a nice picture on the bottle of a Scottish hillside.