Cabs

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

John

Cabs

Post by John » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:32 pm

Please could anyone tell me when safety frames were fitted to tractors as standard and when it became law to have them fitted

SteveCollett

RE: Cabs

Post by SteveCollett » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:44 pm

late 60's probably about 68

case-ih1594

Post by case-ih1594 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:16 pm

Anti-roll bars had to be fitted since September 1970, DB's built after this date probably had the (square looking) Sta-Dri / Victor cab fitted. Some people seem to remove such cabs and fit shell type mudguards even though the UK specification tractors would all have had the cab fitted from new, and you are removing the anti-roll benefits.

:roll:

From 1st September 1977 further cab regulations came in force to keep noise levels below 90 Decibels and there was a mad scramble to fit a 'roll bar' because otherwise a Q-cab would have to be retro-fitted !

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:30 pm

Beware tractors being sold either by a dealer, private individual, eBay or farm auction which have had the cab removed, it is illegal. There has been an on-going discussion within the powers tat be as to the condition of tractor cabs of older tractors, there are a lot of cabbed tractors that are well into their 40's now and the condition of some of the cabs would now make them useless because of rust and corrosion and render them 'unfit for purpose', there was talk a while ago that there could be a form of official inspection of cabs needed if a tractor was up for sale. There are several D.B tractors on eBay at the moment minus their cab, I wonder if the sellers realise that they are breaking the Law?

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:15 pm

The introduction date was put back a year to allow manufacturers to time to get approval for their frames/cabs and I think they eventually came in early in 1971 - though DB were already fitting them (one of the first, if not the first, of the UK manufacturers to do so). The "Sta-Dri" cab was fitted - with either "Sta-Dri" or "David Brown" above the windscreen, the same cab was sold as an after market item and had "Victor" above the windscreen (as was on my 780 cab when I bought the tractor). I took the cladding off my 780 as it was almost falling off, though I have left the safety frame in place.

The Q-cab was supposed to start in 1976, but it was also postponed - for the same reasons I think!

As Case-IH says, some remove the cabs when restoring their machines, but the likes of the 885, 995/6 and 12XX always had safety cabs (or frames), so a show tractor should have them too. It's fair enough if you need a low tractor in the yard (though you shouldn't use it out of the yard!). A former boss has a MF 240 with the Q-cab removed so he could scrape his cubicle shed out when he was still farming, but it should be refitted now he is retired (and has had to give up his license) as his wife and son use the tractor for "odd jobs".

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:30 pm

There was a 1394 on eBay last year that had the cab cut off at the bottom of the windscreen line, top of mudguards, he'd cut it off with the gas torch 'for use in my low cattle sheds' he added at the end of his description that he 'would weld the cab back on if anyone wanted it'. Muppet!

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:38 pm

I`ve had many a sleepless night worrying about being thrown in prison for using my 73 990 without a cab and frame :roll:

Cheers

Andy

case-ih1594

Post by case-ih1594 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:53 pm

They'd let you out after 6 months - on Paroll (bar) :oops:

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:34 pm

[quote="broadsword"]I`ve had many a sleepless night worrying about being thrown in prison for using my 73 990 without a cab and frame :roll:

If the tractor was fitted with either a safety frame or a full cab from manufacture Andy they wouldn't put you behind bars, they'd stick you with a hefty fine and take the tractor and destroy it!