1490 slow starting

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:10 pm

A typical battery used in Finland for 90-series tractors has following specs:
125 Ah capacity
700 to 800 cca
One of the most important things to remember is, that the battery has to be fully charged. The charging level can be low if the tractor is used for only short times between the starts. When temperatures are below -20 degrees C, even this size of battery can give problems for starting. We always use block heater for at least 2 hours before starting when temperatures are low as there is no point in starting a freezing cold engine. The cranking speed can be very low in cold climate, but it does not matter, as long as the engine can be started. So follow the following: Use a oil suitable for the temperatures, Use a big enough battery, keep the battery fully charged and maintained, look after the connections between battery and starter motor, use block heater and use thermostart.

erkki

Post by erkki » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:31 pm

Puuuffff. My tractors have had old batteries and new batteries in cold weather and in warm weather. Its true that 125 Ah is a good choice in any circumstances but the the last battery which I put in July to my 880 is some cheap Made in China 60 Ah only and works perfectly.

This is not purposely comment for experts who emphasize the condition and output of a battery, its just a comment from a guy who starts his DB by small battery without any problem. They do not last many years but an investment of 50 euro is not bad in every three years.

Cranking a 3.6 litre four potter is not that heavy duty. If cranking is lazy, first check the connections and even if the starter is new, if its made in opposite side of glope you cant be sure that it performs as supposed to.

I have seen old starters which have lost their power because of poor contacts of worn out brushes pushing the commutator. They do not have the performance by any battery, just hot wiring.

W.B.R erkki

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:03 pm

If the starter is new, don't forget, there are starter motors and starter motors. Electrical connections, battery, thermostart and everything else seeming ok, question I would ask is, is the starter motor of high enough rating to turn the engine fast enough?

michael1490

Post by michael1490 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:37 pm

I will check all the connections after Christmas. the last few mornings have been very mild plus the tractor is parked in the shed with cattle,( passage way), so I,am waiting for a cold morning with a heavier battery. The new starter spins the crank a lot faster than the old one.
finaly have a Happy Christmas Ho Ho Ho :lol: