power steering valve/ orbital valve 1390 noisey

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

poitch

power steering valve/ orbital valve 1390 noisey

Post by poitch » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:03 am

Hi All could do with a bit of help. Just bought a 1390 and have changed the power steering fluid. There is a noise coming from the power steering valve when driven on the road it was there before the fluid change. It is quiet when going in a straight line ie no inputs from the steering wheel and also on low revs. is there a fix for these units ie a refurb kit or anything i can do?. Also if i push the steering wheel away from me hard it lessens the noise. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks john

poitch

RE: power steering valve/ orbital valve 1390 noisey

Post by poitch » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:18 am

Sorry also should have mentioned that I used power steering or ATF fluid to refill. is this the right stuff to use here or should I have used something else?. Not up to speed on these tractors yet more of a car person.

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:37 am

The noise can be normal. Contributing to this kind of noise (only when steering) is the steering hoses and pipes. If any of these is in tight contact with the cab, the vibration from system can result in noise. Regarding the oil used I am not going to say anything. There is always someone who knows better.

poitch

Post by poitch » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:34 pm

Cheers Ollek will check out the pipework. AS for the correct oil to use anyone got any ideas. would a thicker viscosity oil help reduce the noise or would it put the pump under too much load?.

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:21 pm

Please e informed that it is normal for the hydrostatic steering to give a "hissing" noise when you turn the steering wheel. You can not affect the noise by changing the oil to an other quality.

poitch

Post by poitch » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:17 pm

Its not a hissing noise like you would expect its a grumbling, graunchy noise. If there is play in the pump or orbital valve then a thick oil might help take up some of the slack between the gears of the pump if it is the pump. Having read back on this site people have used everything from engine oil to hydraulic oil in their set ups. I was just wondering if anyone has managed to rid the system of this noise without spending a fortune on new pumps etc?.

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:45 pm

In Moderator mode:

Please let's not mention oil again.

Thank you.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:47 pm

Putting a thicker grade oil in the reservoir would not alleviate or improve the problem, it would in fact make it worse, you should use the recommended oil which is ATF or a 32 grade hydraulic oil, no combinations either otherwise it will foam. The grumbling you have could be caused by, the incorrect oil, splines on the bottom of the steering column shaft worn or the orbital unit, kinked oil pipe or a faulty valve in the rear of the steering ram. Lastly, if the oil was very low and you've had to put more in there may be air in the system.

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:20 pm

STILL in moderator mode

Please read my previous post!!

jazo

Post by jazo » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:02 am

Did you change the filter inside pump reservoir? on the 94 series they moved the steering valve outside the cab which helps
1394 4wd
1294 4wd
30D
990x2
780x2

johno

Post by johno » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi poitch my 1494 does exactly the same and if i push on steering it lessons the noise ive changed the oil and checked the pipes and its still the same ,i think its something you got to live with ,but it does get on yuor nerves on a long road trip

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:42 pm

If the shaft from the steering wheel is bottoming out in the orbitrol unite, you will have some noise as the vibrations from the orbitrol valve gets into the steering column and from there into the drivers ears. But, as johno said, this steering is not very quiet, so sometimes it does not pay off trying to get it quiet.

poitch

Post by poitch » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:00 pm

cheers for the advice lads I have to park her up for some brake issues so I will have a better root around and see what I come up with.

geoff_52

Post by geoff_52 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:38 am

I had this noise problem with my 1690,when steering the tractor the noise went away, let go of the steering wheel and it came back I found the problem, It was one of the hydraulic steering pipes which pass through the cab had been rubbing on the metalwork as it went through the cutout hole, It had rubbed the rubber off the pipe down to the braided wire so when the pipe vibrated it sent a whine and buzzing noise up the dash, hope this helps Geoff.