Getting started in Qld

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

stew83

Getting started in Qld

Post by stew83 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:21 pm

Hi all I'm fairly new to forum and have just got a 1949 cropmaster. It's a bit sad state at moment and spent the last 30 years sitting out in the open. Unfortunately the engine is seized at the moment and that's where iv started. I removed the sump along with 20 liters of muck(oil) andwater. On closer look the crank and all seemto look ok no rust on anything so hopefully just pistons stuck. Iv cleaned out sump and filled bores and sump with diesel and let it sit for a while now. Is there anything else you guys think I could try or should do? Also the last owner removed the dynamo which prob let most of water in sump in first place, he is trying to track it down at moment but I'm not sure which parts are in the front housing for governor? Or what is missing? Look forward to your replies.
Ps I tried to upload photo but couldn't I can pm them if someone else can upload them. Cheers.

ollek

RE: Getting started in Qld

Post by ollek » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Removing the dynamo will not open anything up, the alternator is belt driven and completely external. If the tractor is a diesel, it is possible that the injection pump has been removed. This will make the whole gear set in front of the engine open to the air. If the injection pump is removed, the tractor will not operate before the old pump or a replacement is found.

stew83

Post by stew83 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:00 pm

Sorry I should of said it's an early petrol kerosene cropmaster with the gear driven dynamo.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:36 pm

Sit and wait then try getting it to turn back and forth. I've done this on good level ground by putting the machine in top gear and rocking it, or by sticking a bar on the crankshaft pulley nut (no idea if this can be done on these).
Failing that I've removed the head and then used a block of wood and a hammer to tap the pistons down.

stew83

Post by stew83 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:04 pm

I guess it's just a waiting game for now then. Iv got plenty of time. I was gonna try an leave head on if I can get away with it but just need to see how it goes. Does anyone have a diagram of inside the front timing cover that shows gears and governor set up .

db2d

Post by db2d » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:16 pm

If you PM me your email address I will send the infomation

db2d

Post by db2d » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:27 pm

If you PM me your email address I will send the information

stew83

Post by stew83 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:37 am

I gave it a bit of a rock back an forth in top gear when I came home fr work today and to my surprise it moved. After a bit I got the starting handle on and now iv got it turning over freely .

prblake

Post by prblake » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:41 pm

stew
Well done getting the motor turning over.
Here are some photos of the generator from my tractor. Ignore the generator end as I have grafted on a 12 volt Lucas generator back end in place of the 6 volt CAV unit but the gear drive and governor 'wings' are original. I have just converted mine to 12 volts because I found it was not a reliable starter with 6 volts.

Presumably the rest of your governor is still on the engine. I do have a parts diagram for this if you need a scan. I dont know anyone around Brisbane who would have a gear driven generator but i have got a few parts from a bloke in Victoria who may have one. Here is his website- http://curtisautomotive.com.au/
Paul
Attachments
IMG_1951.JPG
IMG_1951.JPG (151.7 KiB) Viewed 7242 times
IMG_1950.JPG
IMG_1950.JPG (146.05 KiB) Viewed 7242 times

stew83

Post by stew83 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:13 am

Thanks for the pictures paul. Inside the timin cover was still a short shaft with a bearing ring and two washers on it. I guess the hard bit now is tracking down a generator and the wings for the governor. The last owner sent it to someone in gympie to be checked over 30 years ago so were trying to track it down and hope all parts are still on it!
I would really like to get a look at your tractor sometime to view a complete one and sort of get a look at what else might be missing from mine? I think your cropmaster would be closest to where we live.
Thanks again.

prblake

Post by prblake » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:06 am

Stew

My tractor is on display at the Laidley Historical Village Tractor Museum about half way between Brisbane and Towoomba. I would be happy to meet you there when it suits so we can have a good look over it and run it up.
Paul
Attachments
Croppy finished.jpg
Croppy finished.jpg (191.98 KiB) Viewed 7077 times

stew83

Post by stew83 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:04 pm

Thanks for that Paul that would be a great help. I dig holes Monday to Friday so would prob have to be on a weekend but I can work around whenever suits you best.
Cheers