Brake fluid

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

dtw

Brake fluid

Post by dtw » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:57 pm

Continuing on with the rear axle replacement and I am in need of break fluid.
On the break reservoir its a tag which says Mineral oil only.
In the manual it states AgricastrolFBS fluid.
The only mineral oil I can come up with is a mineral oil from a local Pharmacy
It s called Mineral oil USP heavy
Would this be compatible with what is in the system now, or is it OK to use
Thanks
DTW

RE: Brake fluid

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:56 pm

Brake and clutch fluid is LHM don't use anything else. If you find it hard to get where you are Peugeot and Citroen cars use the same.

ollek

Post by ollek » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:31 pm

The oil was called Agricastrol FBS in the beginning, when David Brown started to build tractors with disc brakes and the slave cylinders inside the wheel reductions. The reason for this is that normal brake fluid will ruin the lubrication characteristics if the slave cylinder starts to leak and the fluid gets into the wheel reduction oil. Because ef this, the clutch and brake systems where designed to use the same fluid as used in the Citroen (and Rolls Royce)suspension and brakes. This made it important to fit seals with a rubber sort that was not affected by this fluid (mineral oil). Normal brake fluid will severly effect the seals used in mineral oil systems and ruin all rubber materials developed for use together with brake fluid. The fluid to be used is green in color and can today be found under several brand names, but be sure to get a fluid that is ok to use in Citroen cars suspension.

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:45 am

Could never get the correct fluid and was told that hydraulic oil did the same job and have always used normal hyd 46 grade oil since .

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:30 pm

I can get it ok, comes in one litre plastic container.

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:36 pm

Getting Peugeo/Citroen stuff may be a little easier in Europe than the Antipodes or Americas. The only Peugeot I remember seeing in a US TV programme was in Colombo!

ollek

Post by ollek » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:12 pm

There is a Akcela product called Akcela LHM Fluid. This is the correct brake fluid and can (as far as I understand) be obtained from any Case IH dealer thar sells Akcela oils.

richbug

Re: RE: Brake fluid

Post by richbug » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:32 pm

ollek wrote:There is a Akcela product called Akcela LHM Fluid. This is the correct brake fluid and can (as far as I understand) be obtained from any Case IH dealer thar sells Akcela oils.
Not here. We get Ackela branded "Hytran Ultra" at the dealer. Dealer told us to use Hydraulic oil or Hytran.

I have used ATF, Hytran and ISO32 Hydraulic with no obvious ill effects.
Users: 780, 1210 Bottle Opener, 1494 4wd open station with 74L, 990, 1394, 1194 High Clearance, another 1394, 1194 LCG, 1290 with 56L, 900, 885 with LS8, 885, 1190

1200, 900 projects, 780,

Parts: 3800, 1200, 1394, 1412, 1490, 770, 885, 990SEL, Red 990I,

RE: Re: RE: Brake fluid

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:13 pm

I would think that the tractor operators handbook would be the best place to look, recommended lubricants and fluids and alternatives are listed in there for different parts of the World. I know everyone does not have a handbook for the tractors they have but that would be the second most important thing I would obtain after the tractor itself.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:43 pm

I suppose that if you can't get the correct fluid (I don't think Peugeot cars were very successful in that part of the world, they fall apart too easily) then a thin mineral oil will probably work without damaging the seals.
However, do be aware that brake fluid is designed to have a very high boiling point. This isn't likely to be an issue on a tractor, but if you start doing daft things with the brakes and get them really hot then perhaps an alternative oil may boil.
Also the viscosity of brake fluid is designed to remain the same as temperature changes, ordinary oil won't do this. It probably won't be a big issue on a tractor though.

oily

Post by oily » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:50 pm

if their is any McCormick dealers they is a product called AZA RED part no 600693282 this replaces lhm and i use it on all DB CASE IH and McCORMICK tractors where needed

broadsword

Re: RE: Re: RE: Brake fluid

Post by broadsword » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:08 pm

bedwards1966 wrote:(I don't think Peugeot cars were very successful in that part of the world, they fall apart too easily) .
Watch it!!! - we`ll have a less if you do not mind!!!! :wink:

Cheers

Andy

bedwards1966

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Brake fluid

Post by bedwards1966 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:45 pm

Sorry, I forgot that you make your living from cars.
In fact if your business repairs the French ones it's probably better money than winning the lottery!

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:36 pm

I don't think that heat is going to be an issue in hydraulically operated D.B brakes as any heat generated by long periods of braking will not transmit any heat from the shoes to the fluid as the fluid operates the rod in the cylinder that pushes on the cam which actuates the brakes, the fluid gets nowhere near the shoes. Previously when I said that you should not use anything other than LHM fluid I was referring to the fact that you must not use 'normal' fluid like Dot3 or Dot4, it melts all the rubber bits.

885mac

Post by 885mac » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:56 pm

Has the LHM fluid for the clutch been replaced by LHM plus or is it the same?