watery gearbox oil

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

stickylinkage

watery gearbox oil

Post by stickylinkage » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi folks.
I recently bought a 990 selectamatic....
and drained the gearbox sump as the dipstick shoed white oil.
I have never seen oil like it...whitewash would be the appropriate word. :oops:
The question is...where is this water coming from..??
The box and gaskets look sound...
is there a chance it could be seeping through from the cooling system..?? :shock:

RE: watery gearbox oil

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:46 pm

The only way water will enter the box is around the gear levers especially if the rubber 'boots' are gone, perished and or split.

stickylinkage

Re: RE: watery gearbox oil

Post by stickylinkage » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:58 pm

Powerrabbit wrote:The only way water will enter the box is around the gear levers especially if the rubber 'boots' are gone, perished and or split.
thanks matey...this ole girl has no rubber boots left at all.
Could it be partly to do with condensation in the box...as there was not enough oil in her to be inside the "safe" zone on the dipstick..?? :oops:

RE: Re: RE: watery gearbox oil

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:42 pm

Condensation is a possibility but the oil would have to have been in the box for several years and heating up though working and cooling to get to that state, it's the lack of gear lever boots where the water's gone in.

stickylinkage

Re: RE: Re: RE: watery gearbox oil

Post by stickylinkage » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:48 pm

Powerrabbit wrote:Condensation is a possibility but the oil would have to have been in the box for several years and heating up though working and cooling to get to that state, it's the lack of gear lever boots where the water's gone in.
Thankyou for your help. :lol:
A bit muddy out here innit..??

erkki

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: watery gearbox oil

Post by erkki » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:52 am

Hi stickylinkage.

When changing milky oil to fresh you will notice that the new oil becomes some creamy pretty soon. That is because the rear axle housing is some honeycombed and its almost impossibe to drain it absolutely empty. Also the rear lift must be down. Old water mix will give a new colour to the oli even if the amount of water is small. Many owners have flushed the gearbox by diesel fuel once or twice before putting oil in. I know that fuel flushing divides opinions but I have no rumours in my ears which tell about any problem because of fuel in the gearbox. You can drive empty tractor around the yard without pulling anything, that will cause almost no pressure to the gears and bearings but cleans also the walls and lid of the box. 15 litres is sufficient amount. People who hate getting flush fuel to their garages may drain the old oil to a steel canister and boil the water out. Then they can use the boiled oil for flushing.

W.B.R erkki

case-ih1594

Post by case-ih1594 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:34 am

As Powerrabbit has said the water has almost certainly come down from the gearsticks, directly into the gearbox, because the rubber boots have perished (they are there to keep water out). Also condensation will add to this over the years, coupled with the fact that it is unlikely that the gearbox oil was changed on a 'regular basis'. It certainly would not turn that creamy overnight and would be easy to cure by draining the white 'oil', laving to drip for as long as possible, then replacing with new oil and new filter. It is worth remembering to take off the filter housing and the other drain plug under the PTO casting. The tractor will be grateful (it has probably forgotten what new oil looks like). I'd probably check the engine oil and coolant as they are probably in a similar state.

DavidRushmer

Post by DavidRushmer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:06 pm

Hello Stickylinkage,
As Powerrabbit and others say, the water runs down the gearsticks into the gearbox. I've just purchased an 880 Selectamatic from an orchard with same problem. I drained all the white 'oil' out and have flushed mine twice with a mix of used but clean hydraulic oil plus diesel and given it a run down the field for half an hour each time. Then I allowed it to sit for 2 weeks to drain after first removing the filter under the gearbox, which is totally rusted! My tractor also has a seized valve chest so the arms will not lift or lower so it has to be stripped out. Best wishes for a good clean out!

Banwee40

Re: watery gearbox oil

Post by Banwee40 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:49 pm

Hi I know this isn't the same problem but I have just bought a david brown selectamatic I drove it home about 5 miles and there was creamy gearbox oil leaking but from under the seat. Any ideas

ollek

Re: watery gearbox oil

Post by ollek » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:34 pm

Banwee40, do not hang on to others posts with questions regarding your problems. The answer to your question can be found in your own post, called "Gearbox leak".