Please help identify fuel tank and sender on my 885

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

acs2703

Please help identify fuel tank and sender on my 885

Post by acs2703 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi Folks,
Nothing ever simple - just received a top mounted fuel sender that I ordered for my 885 and my heart sank as soon as I opened the box as I could see it's not the same as my original and won't fit. I've now looked on a couple of other online parts sites and they show the same picture as the one I have received so all I can think is maybe my 885 has the tank from a different model.

I'm attaching a picture of my sender showing the top view of the mounting plate that sits in the tank recess. Mine is solid (no holes) and is about 60mm (maybe 2 3/8") whereas the new one has holes in it and is about 75mm. Mine is retained by a ring with a cam that is driven tight. With holes in the top plate the new unit clearly has a different fitting that will be water tight that must sit on top of the sender plate.

I guess I need the sender for what ever model tank I have but I don't know what it is!!

Anyone recognise my sender and can help my identify my tank??

Cheers,
Andy

RE: Please help identify fuel tank and sender on my 885

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:32 pm

Unless you can find an AC unit anything else will not fit and if your original fits by means of a spring clip retainer and mounts from the top of the tank you're going to find sourcing a new one will be like looking for hens teeth! Of course, if any of us come across one we'll let you know.

case-ih1594

RE: Please help identify fuel tank and sender on my 885

Post by case-ih1594 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:36 pm

This one looks like a DB 90-Series one - larger and with the holes that bolt it to (unlike the 885 spring as Powerrabbit just said). The manufacturer has probably assumed the sender unit is the same for 885 / 90 series. Yours will be a standard tank but remember second hand sender units may not work. Very frustrating indeed. :cry:

acs2703

Looks like my tank and sender are original

Post by acs2703 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:29 pm

Thanks guys - it does seem that I have the original tank and sender. I ordered from Agriline as their site said the sender was for an 885 but I think the online Case-IH parts catalogue shows conclusively that Agriline is wrong and my 885 sender has a different top plate and fitting to the one they sent me.

The attached picture with 9, 11 and 12 is mine which is very different to the one they sent me which are parts 5 and 6.

I've looked around at length for my own type and not found one so I think I may just take the variable resistor off the new one and fit it to my old unit. I've tested the new sender with my gauge and it has the right ohm range and half way on the resistor/float gives me half full on the gauge.

My mistake was to think that these parts suppliers were accurate but I guess not!

Andy
Attachments
Fuel senders.jpg
Fuel senders.jpg (84.92 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
Fuel senders.jpeg
Fuel senders.jpeg (84.92 KiB) Viewed 5048 times

RE: Looks like my tank and sender are original

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:23 pm

Another D.B part from this company that goes on the ever getting bigger rubbish list!

prblake

885 sender

Post by prblake » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:59 pm

Looking at the two side by side and noting what you say about the resistance being correct I was wondering whether you could cut down the diametre of the new sender to the same size as the old one?

This might be better than changinging components?

I declare my vested interest as we have been trying to fix or replace the sender on our 885 for a while as well. I dont want to walk back from the back paddock to the house again thanks!

Paul

acs2703

Trusted parts suppliers

Post by acs2703 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:04 pm

I guess I need to learn the hard way about parts and parts suppliers, which ones to trust and not to. After getting the wrong part from Agriline I looked at the DBTC club shop and see that they use Sparex - so I looked at Sparex's fuel sender list and depressingly they show the same unit as Agriline supplied me - and they list the compatibility for the 885 alongise the 90 series - so it seems that my fuel sender is little understood/differentiated by the suppliers! I suppose there is little demand so they never get to correct their catalogues.

Paul suggested cutting down the mounting plate but actually cutting a true circle would be tough and also I think the holes in the plate would be inside retaining ring so wouldn't work. Having had a good look at both side by side I think I can take the float arm and variable resistor off the new unit and attach to the down post of the old unit. I will give it a go and post the result!

RE: Trusted parts suppliers

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:55 pm

Agriline is not alone in supplying parts that are totally wrong, far from it, there are a lot of suppliers large and small, it just surprises me that in all the time these Companies have been supplying parts and having them returned because they're wrong still haven't learnt by using original parts as patterns and some of those that have, parts they have used are incomplete or worn out and so still are no good.