Windscreen washer jet

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Alchad

Windscreen washer jet

Post by Alchad » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi,

Bit of a long shot, but....

After managing without a windscreen washer for 10 years on my 1390, I finally got round to sorting out the electric supply to the washer pump, only to find that the wssher jet itself was broken.

Looking at the remains I get the impression that the jet is larger than used on cars. Just wondered if anyone had replaced theirs and what they used.

Thanks

Alchad

RE: Windscreen washer jet

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:09 pm

I used the proper one, fits on the little tin bracket welded to the lower windscreen rail that has a hole in it, for those that have theirs missing and wondered what the bracket was for. Has a screw thread under the dome head of the jet head with a thin nut and washer. Any washer jet that bolts through a hole should fit, if you can't angle the jet to hit the windscreen at the right angle just bend down the fitting bracket and re-adjust the jet. I'm not sure that the original is available now.

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Rather than edit my previous, I'm not sure now that there is or was a 'proper' washer jet and didn't the previous cabs have a washer jet as well?, I know the VQ cabbed tractors did. In fact, looking through listings on eBay for windscreen washer jets there are several 'bolt-on' ones that would be suitable and by the looks of things there are complete windscreen washer kits listed, bottle/pump, tubing and jet sets listed that would be a good replacement for the Q cabs.

Alchad

Post by Alchad » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:43 pm

Tim,

Thanks for fast reply. I do still have the bracket - part of the old jet was still screwed into it.

I did look on EBay but as I said, thought thy looked small-ish, the old jet looks to have a screw thread diameter of about 3/8 inch, they EBay ones look much smaller. Guess answer is to lash out and buy one!

Cheers

Alan

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:00 pm

Well Alan, for the princely sum of £3 and a few pence it won't break the bank to find out! They should all be a standard size, I'm here looking at an original new one at the moment, always thought they were single jet washers but it's actually double jet. The one I have here is white but I have seen black ones. Thread is 10mm with a flat side, metal washer then a rubber washer and the metal nut is 14mm. I can post up a picture of it if required. Just showed it to a mate of mine that drops in from time to time, he's an agric fitter for local JD dealer, reckons he can get some if wanted.

Alchad

Post by Alchad » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:21 am

That's the one exactly Tim, can't see anything on EBay like it. - or by googling. If your friend can get one that would be good.

Thanks

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:15 pm

I'm on to it Alan, don't know for sure but guess it will have to be ordered in, not the sort of little bit they'd keep on the shelf I would think but as soon as, I'll let you know.

saccy

Post by saccy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi sorry to drag this up but have been looking for the washer bottle on my 1390 where should it be.this is my first post on here and have been reading a lot on the formtheres lots of things i need to ask about my 1390 like why does it seem to have a chuffing sound when running.and then i go and ask about the washer bottle for my first post.suppose i must start some where.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:14 pm

Washer bottle should be right at the front of the bonnet inside between the headlamps. The chuffing may be caused by a tappet/pushrod being too tight or a burnt valve, check the tappet settings first.

saccy

Post by saccy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi nice quick reply thanks will have a look and check the tappets, i did do a compression check and they where about 250 to 350

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:46 pm

When you've checked the tappet clearances and adjusted if needed, run the engine without the rocker cover for half a minute and just look at the pushrods to make sure none are bent or before you adjust turn the pushrods with your finger and thumb when the pressure of the tappet is off each one, this is the better way to see if any are bent.

saccy

Post by saccy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:17 pm

Hi thanks ill start i new post with the findings as not to hijack this one anymore.