1690 carraro axle bearing

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

mickG

1690 carraro axle bearing

Post by mickG » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:09 pm

Hi guys
I have a lot of play in a front wheel and im tyring to fix this. when i get the outside covers off there is a big round nut with slots and i cant remove this.
i made a tool from some pipe with key steel welded to it and a nut on the end and tried a torque muntiplierbur the nut sheared off and the one i wnat to move is still not moving. Is there a specila tool?
see picture of nut.Any help welcome.
Regards mick
Attachments
bearing 1690 2.JPG
bearing 1690 2.JPG (109.97 KiB) Viewed 8270 times

oily

RE: 1690 carraro axle bearing

Post by oily » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:09 pm

by the state of the oil round the hub i would be taking the nut off and fitting a new set of bearings and seal and give the planet gears a good wash out to i bet the bearings are braking up and in the past i have had to split the nut in half to get them off my be worth checking the king pins and fitting new axle drive shaft seals i no things start to get pricey and add up but its better than trying to find another axle and i would change the rest of the axle and hub oils to

faf

Post by faf » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:07 pm

Would it be left hand thread? What about heating it? Is a chisel and a good crack with a lump hammer out of the question? I know it's rough but shock can do wonders!

case-ih1594

Post by case-ih1594 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi, there is a special tool - a large 1" drive socket. i have seen people 'make' them, but there is an incredible amount of torque needed. Hitting it with a chisel, carefully may loosen it, but you could easily damage the shaft threads and possibly need a new nut. I think it is also a nylon locknut - in which case you would damage that - and you do not want the nut coming off when going dowhill or you may overtake your front wheel. i cannot help with the thread direction - it would say in a parts book ot the CASE IH parts website as the nuts would be different. I think they are the same and it just the standard thread.

rough990

Post by rough990 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:33 pm

You have the right idea with the tool you made. Nothing wrong with that, maybe try a T-bar with two people and scaffold pipes to undo it (3/4" drive or bigger, preferably) If it doesn't undo, then you will have to split it. Obviously, the weak point is where the slot is, so sharpen a good heavy chisel and wack it to split it, or warm it up there. It is a nylon lock nut. Unless you use it with some locking compound, then you should use a new one each time. ( You should officially use a new one anyway. Nylon locking collar is not meant to be re-used on this safety-critical fastener) It is normal right-hand thread. I wouldn't hesitate to split it and order a new one. Oh, and yes, that "lubricant" in the hub, yuck! It's a wonder the gears aren't junk. The bearings won't be great.

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:15 pm

By the look of the surfaces there's been a lot of metal moving around and looks like it's turned the oil to grease. As said renew the nut at least.

mickG

Post by mickG » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:00 pm

I have a new nut ordered plus bearings so i dont mind the nut getting damaged.Its just to get the thing off.Im expecting the bearing to be in a bad way.
Also i have a spare axle with damage but the hubs are perfect so i will be replacing any bits that i need.
Thanks for the comments guys will let you know how i get on.
Regards mick

mickG

Post by mickG » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Hi again
So back together again.new seals new bearings, all cleaned out, now it looks like new,but it took work and time an a bit of cash.
Now that i have gone to all this trouble i dont want to put it to waste by putting in the wrong oil!!
My local factor gave me Top EP hypoid 80w/90. The manual says case FDL sae 90.
Is this ok?
Thanks in advance mick

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:12 pm

The oil you have been given should be fine. It's slightly thinner when cold than the stuff the manual recommends, but this isn't a bad thing.

richbug

Post by richbug » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:13 pm

What did the total bill run for parts? I have a leaking Carraro to do, but I think so long as it is working, I am better off to add some oil a couple times a year..
Users: 780, 1210 Bottle Opener, 1494 4wd open station with 74L, 990, 1394, 1194 High Clearance, another 1394, 1194 LCG, 1290 with 56L, 900, 885 with LS8, 885, 1190

1200, 900 projects, 780,

Parts: 3800, 1200, 1394, 1412, 1490, 770, 885, 990SEL, Red 990I,

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:54 pm

If it only needs oil adding a couple of times a year I think I'd be leaving well enough alone whatever the cost of the parts!

I suspect the price may alter dramatically depending on where you are able to get parts. For instance if I had one of these to do I know a local bearing place that hasn't failed to get a bearing or seal yet and the bearings would probably cost less than £50 - but getting them from a dealer would be a very different matter. If you know the right places things can often be done quite cheaply.

richbug

Re: RE: 1690 carraro axle bearing

Post by richbug » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:18 pm

bedwards1966 wrote:If it only needs oil adding a couple of times a year I think I'd be leaving well enough alone whatever the cost of the parts!

I suspect the price may alter dramatically depending on where you are able to get parts. For instance if I had one of these to do I know a local bearing place that hasn't failed to get a bearing or seal yet and the bearings would probably cost less than £50 - but getting them from a dealer would be a very different matter. If you know the right places things can often be done quite cheaply.
I have a decent place to get bearings and seals. I priced out the parts to do it a couple years ago at the dealer and was given the "No Longer Available" story. I suspect the counter guy just didn't want to look them up.

It leaks enough that it s usually wet around the back side of the hub. The dirt sticks to the leaked oil on the inside of my rims. It is generally ugly but still works(except I need to pull the transmission because of a bad bearing).
Users: 780, 1210 Bottle Opener, 1494 4wd open station with 74L, 990, 1394, 1194 High Clearance, another 1394, 1194 LCG, 1290 with 56L, 900, 885 with LS8, 885, 1190

1200, 900 projects, 780,

Parts: 3800, 1200, 1394, 1412, 1490, 770, 885, 990SEL, Red 990I,

mickG

RE: Re: RE: 1690 carraro axle bearing

Post by mickG » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:01 pm

Cant remember exactly what the wheel bearing was.Think was about €80
small oil seal was €22.big seal was €60.bearings for bearing pin on swivel hub was €40
Oil €12 , The castellated nut was priced at €97 but didnt turn up in the end.
The shop told me they have never replaced these nuts and they do these seals on a regular basis and always put the old one back.
So old nut went back on with locktite. I hope this will be good enough
I will be keeping a close eye on it for a while
The tool i made was great both for opening and reassembling.was used with 3/4 sockets.
My big concern was the high torque setting as i have nothing to measure this so a long bar was used and its as tight as i could get it
regards mick

bedwards1966

RE: Re: RE: 1690 carraro axle bearing

Post by bedwards1966 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Don't worry, long bars are usually perfect!