12v water pump ideas wanted

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

Please note the Forum Site is not managed by David Brown Tractor Club Ltd only hosted

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email callysmith95@outlook,com giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderator: admin

johnh

12v water pump ideas wanted

Post by johnh » Tue May 14, 2013 11:17 pm

Hi to all, i am in the process of making a 'crop sprayer' with a boom and i am in need of a 12v pump that would supply maybe 4 litres a minute at 40 psi.

of course i could just buy a cheap one from wherever on ebay but i am hoping someone can point me in the direction of a source where i could scavenge a better quality one for probably less money. maybe a window washer pump or something along those lines. it's very hard to find good info on these things regarding flow and pressure but maybe someone's got some advice for me :D

i am deliberately avoiding fuel pumps as a bmw one which i used to pump water before, needed the fuel to lube it's bearings and subsequently seized up.

any ideas would be appreciated.

best regrds,

John.

RE: 12v water pump ideas wanted

Post by Guest » Wed May 15, 2013 9:02 am

Good idea in theory John and there are quite a variety of 12v pumps out there. Obviously it would need to be self priming and either submersible or in-line. You might find a pond pump from a pet or garden pond accessory outlet but there is one particular pump that's in my mind and it's one that I use. This pump is called a liquid transfer pump and will shift any liquid except petrol, it's both submersible and in-line, will pump 1080 litres per hour (280 gallons). This may help.

http://www.asap-supplies.com/marine/pre ... lley-pumps

johnh

Post by johnh » Wed May 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Those pumps would do just fine but i can't justify spending too much on it all. The little caravan water pump which i have already, a comet eco-plus, is fine in delivery volume but not high enough pressure to get a good mist from the nozzles but everything else works ok, if a bit heath robinson, and i just want to scavenge something off a scrap vehicle or machine that will deliver the pressure then i've got a useable set up for not too much outlay. The boom is costing about £30 quid for 4 nozzles/holders/caps plus hose which should cover over 2m spray width at the right pressure.

You can buy a 3.7 litres/min sprayer with 40 litre tank and 4m hose with what looks like a decent enough lance for £85 which is tempting if i was willing to prise open my wallet but as said, i'm not :D

Post by Guest » Wed May 15, 2013 9:05 pm

Could you not rig up an air tank/compressor PTO or 12v to pressurise the tank?, that may be an alternative.

johnh

Post by johnh » Wed May 15, 2013 9:16 pm

interesting thought..i have got the guts of an old fridge which has a small compressor i could use but i guess it's 240v and would probably get a bit complicated. i reckon a window washer pump would do it, if i knew what kind of pressure these put out.

Post by Guest » Wed May 15, 2013 10:34 pm

I would think that a windscreen washer pump would not deliver sufficient volume or pressure for the purpose John as the electrical current it would draw may be too much for the small motor size and burn it out. I still think that in order to get it to work that you will still need to either pressurize the tank holding the liquid by air or a pump that would deliver enough volume to give you adequate pressure at the nozzles to form the spray. You also would need to work out how you are going to regulate it for the volume required to cover a specific area.

johnh

Post by johnh » Thu May 16, 2013 12:35 am

Powerrabbit, if i can get the pressure up a bit i will be alright as the nozzles give out a certain amount at a certain pressure so then it's all about travel speed. at the moment i have a pressure switch in circuit but the little subersible can;t get up enough pressure to make it operate. :(

990Nick

Post by 990Nick » Thu May 16, 2013 8:37 am

Lots of modern cars wash their headlights with high pressure jets. You might find one of these pumps might deliver the volume/pressure that you need.
1967 990 Selectamatic

Post by Guest » Thu May 16, 2013 8:41 am

John, what pressure do you need from the pump? There must be something out there adequate and cheap. We'll keep thinking.

johnh

Post by johnh » Thu May 16, 2013 12:59 pm

I need about 40 psi at as little as 1.5 litres per min.