tapered shaft fittings

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

Please note the Forum Site is not managed by David Brown Tractor Club Ltd only hosted

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email callysmith95@outlook,com giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderator: admin

johnh

tapered shaft fittings

Post by johnh » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi Guys,

anybody know where i can get a tapered bore pulley or sprocket or adaptor from? specifically 17.4mm 1:8 taper.
it seems to be a common shaft size for hydraulic pumps/motors but i can't find anywhere on that there internet where i can buy anything that goes on the end of one of those shafts.
it's ultimately to run a chainsaw from a hydraulic motor.

thanks,

John.

johnh

RE: tapered shaft fittings

Post by johnh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:41 pm

i suppose i'll have to take the shaft out and get it turned down straight. no wonder those hydraulic motors were such a bargain!

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:24 pm

eBay may be your friend - or a quick search with your favourite search engine!

Here's a selection from eBay's UK listings:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=t ... &_from=R40

Perhaps a message to one of the sellers may help you find the exact thing you need!

denbute

Post by denbute » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:13 pm

The pullyes John mentiones are used with what is known as a taper bush or taper lock to fit them onto a cilindrical shaft with keyway. These cannot be used to fit pullyes onto a tapered shaft!

Go to a local power transmission shop that supplies belts/pullyes/chains/sprockets/bearings/seals. Most of them will have predrilled pullyes that can be finished to the desired bore.
They most likely will have an inhouse machinist or a machineshop that does some work for them. That's the kind of people you're looking for.
<b>1964 David Brown 880 Implematic sn: 880C357040 4 cylinder
197? David Brown 1210 sn: 1210/1/728679
1978 David Brown 996 sn: 995/6/11083514

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:55 pm

Denbute is right of course, I should have remembered as one of the fitters I worked with occasionally turned pulleys as denbute describes: I ordered and supplied the plain pulleys for him.

johnh

Post by johnh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:09 pm

yes, i've thought about the possibility that a taper lock pulley would fit but unfortunately even the smallest taper lock pulleys, 1008 i think, are too big and i have not even been able to find out what the taper is on them just out of interest. thanks anyway though lads for your input.

a machine shop it will have to be.