case 1494

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

ltec

case 1494

Post by ltec » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:19 pm

bought a new case 1494 tonight(new to me anyway) A few questions as I don't understand some stuff.
Drove her home in what I think was top gear, seems very slow, I had her at 2000 revs and she was doing 18mph roughly. If I started in second gear it was really dead and felt like I was going nowhere. left lever in high and right lever in 3, is that top gear or is their something about another lever and more gears or are they for going really slow.
gear lever is stiff and you have to ram it in to gear(is this right)
Steering is wandering and I can see it moving in a couple of places at the ram. if its worn can it be fixed?
temperature hand didn't move,how do I test the switch or gauge?
brakes are also grabbing very quickly and handbrake very hard to pull on, will this needed stripped completely rather than an adjustment
So many problems already, owner said plenty of diesel to get her home(she run out on the way home) got her bleed and going and stopped twice more on the way home(must have picked up dirt)
Its my first tractor and now im very nervous feeling ive made a mistake :cry: , thanks for any advice

6-POT-PHIL
Location: Huddersfield, W Yorks. (Home of David Brown Tractors)

Post by 6-POT-PHIL » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:20 pm

To be honest 18mph is sbout right top speed for that tractor. :shock:

Phil :)
1961 850 Implematic Ex DB test tractor (now sold)
1960 950 Implematic
1970 990 12 speed Selectamatic
1976 996 Loader tractor
1987 'E' 1594 4WD Hydra-Shift
1985 'C' 1694 4WD Hydra-Shift
ImageImage

Six in line sounds mighty fine!!

roundhill

Post by roundhill » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:58 am

Would start by dropping the oil out of everything that has oil in it.Including the rear hubs. The hand brake has the actuator going into the rear hubs and will benefit from a squirt of oil on them. Temperature guage can be checked by earthing the wire to the engine block with the ignition on. If it doesn't go high it's the sender that needs replacing.Sender is under the thermostat.If it is a high cab model look under the cab you should see the bottom of the gear lever sqirt some oil on it a quick way of seeing if the selector forks are worn. Good luck.

bmcgahan

Post by bmcgahan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:29 am

18 MPH would be correct for 2000 revs. I wouldn't be ramming it into gear as it could lead to selector problems. Either the gear stick is seized, the ball excessively worn (hard to find gears) or there's a clutch problem. The brakes seem to snap on most when they warm up especially in reverse. Id try draining the oil and refill with multi purpose oil suitable for oil immersed brakes, fill until it reaches the level bung half way up the reduction back plate. Disconnect handbrake cables at the hubs. Jack each wheel up. Remove the top bung on each reduction, i think u need a 16mm deep socket (maybe a 14, i made a socket for it) screw adjuster clockwise until u cant rotate wheel by hand, then screw it back off 2 1/2 turns. When refitting bungs i think there's a split pin in it to act as a breather, make sure the reduction can breath. If your handbrake is hard to pull, id fit new cables and make sure all parts are free. Cables approx £50 total for both from vapormatic. Adjust cables until the slack is outof cables.

PS if your brakes are still snappy you may need to remove and strip down reduction to add an extra stationary disc.

ltec

Post by ltec » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:53 pm

checked the linkages to gear levers today and their free.
Why is their a badge saying hydra shift inside cab?
The lever with the white knob moves back and forward the odd time if your ignorant but the small one doesn't move at all[/img]Image

ltec

Post by ltec » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:48 pm

put some oil in the boot on the drivers side gear stick and it did help it a fair bit

Dieter

Post by Dieter » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:05 pm

Plate in picture is for stating on which tractors the cab is approved, so 1494 in all variants mentioned there ;-)