Which is the better tractor

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

nate

Which is the better tractor

Post by nate » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:36 am

Hi all.
I have a 69 990 3 stick and a 995 bottle opener,just wondering the opinion of the members what you would prefer. They are both Australian spec 18.4-30 rears 7.50-16 fronts,PAS steering. I'm about to start a full restoration but can't decide which one.
Cheers Nathan.

wheeler

RE: Which is the better tractor

Post by wheeler » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:14 am

Do the white one :wink:

6-POT-PHIL
Location: Huddersfield, W Yorks. (Home of David Brown Tractors)

Post by 6-POT-PHIL » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:41 am

Both good models, in my opinion the 12 speed 990 will look nicer restored. We have a 1970 one thats mint.

Phil :)
1961 850 Implematic Ex DB test tractor (now sold)
1960 950 Implematic
1970 990 12 speed Selectamatic
1976 996 Loader tractor
1987 'E' 1594 4WD Hydra-Shift
1985 'C' 1694 4WD Hydra-Shift
ImageImage

Six in line sounds mighty fine!!

nate

Post by nate » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:49 am

Had both from new can't part with them,only ever had howard rotavators on them both under 4500hrs,might as well return them back to the day dad bought them.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:11 pm

Both are basically the same tractor, the difference between them would be how they operate in comparison with each other now after all the years of their lifes working.

erkki

Post by erkki » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:09 pm

I think 995 has synchro box, which makes it for some jobs handier. If the tractor will be more or less a showroom object I would go to 990. Its sounds more traditional to me.

W.B.R erkki

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:03 pm

As a user I would always go for the 995. I had a 3-sticker 990 and ended up putting 3 new boxes in it, all under warrnaty. The gear train was 'orrible in them and in heavy draft they would try and split the boxes open. Even the dash decals (which we sell in the shop by the way http://www.dbtc.co.uk/index.php?module= ... uct&id=397 ) tell you not to use certain gears for heavy draft. But if you aren't going to be working her hard then I would restore the 3 sticker. They are a little bit different.
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

tomwill

Post by tomwill » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:30 pm

Nate, David Brown has always had a reputation as has having streamlined tractors it certainly showed with the 990 Impematic, that also carried on with the 990 Selectamatic. We had one and done 7500 hrs it was fitted with the same wheel equipment as yours it was a 3 lever trans fitted with the twin ram Australian blade and we never had a proplem with it was a great tractor.My brother in law puchased a new bottle opener 990 in 1973 with sycro trans it has done 8000 hrs never had a spanner on it apart from service.If i had a choice i would do the Selectmatic. I do agree with Scooby the 995 with the sychro trans is even a better work tractor with that extra power.Cheers Tom Williams DBTC of AUST.

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:49 pm

6-POT-PHIL wrote:Both good models, in my opinion the 12 speed 990 will look nicer restored. We have a 1970 one thats mint.

Phil :)
What about that bottle opener 990 your Dad restored about 5 years ago Phil, far better looking tractor that one, its not the size or number of sticks between your legs it's what you do with them that counts :wink:

Go for the bottle opener Nathan, not that I am biased in any way??. I didn't think you needed to restore them down under with the climate down there, we in the damp UK tend to envy you guys with 40 year old DB's that are free of the tin worm.

Cheers

Andy

nate

Post by nate » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:58 pm

Hi Tom our 3 stick has a beaver front blade made in sydney I think. It is painted yellow. Is this the same as what you had?
Cheers Nate

tomwill

Post by tomwill » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:11 pm

nate wrote:Hi Tom our 3 stick has a beaver front blade made in sydney I think. It is painted yellow. Is this the same as what you had?
Cheers Nate
Yes Nate they are the same they were built by Jarret Farm machinery under the the design of a David Brown man in Sydney.Cheers TW