paint code for 90 series white

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:09 am

Were you using Tractol paint? It's a cream shade and, even though the tins say "David Brown Orchid White", they aren't!

I've been using Vapormatic paint recently and it's reasonably close. Farmline, among others, do a good match - as indeed do Case-IH. I used some of theirs a while ago, but the local agent won't sell it in small quantities!

db2d

Post by db2d » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:47 pm

I used Tractol once. Lovely shade of cream

nevilleporter

Post by nevilleporter » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Get the paint mixed to the colour codes on this website BS10 B15 although some paint suppliers cant cross reference this code.
Sparex DB orchid white is not far away.

tdickson

Post by tdickson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:00 am

I don't get it.
Isn't BS 10B15 supposed to be a British Standard paint colour code? Searching the interweb I can find 10B15 as 'Gardenia' and it is a rather creamy colour. Has the standard changed over the years? Did David Brown Tractors mix their own paint or did they purchase it premixed from a supplier?
1967 David Brown 880A / 540113
1968 David Brown 880A / 550795

Eric_T

Post by Eric_T » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:35 am

DB, like virtually every other manufacturer purchased their paint from a supplier, or paint manufacturer.

They would have cared less back then if the tractor was the perfect shade or red, white, brown, whatever, they were more concerned with getting the tractors off the line and on to lorries!

But your right, a cream coloured David Brown looks just wrong!!

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:48 am

A lot of the time it occurs due to paint suppliers and painters getting Case white, as against DB Orchid white, the Case colour is more of a Magnolia effect??

However as to this statement..... :shock:
Eric_T wrote: But your right, a cream coloured David Brown looks just wrong!!
Some of us tractor restorers just play it one step ahead, we go for the `Aged Patina` look by going for a more cream colour to start with, as simple as that................. :roll:

Apart from that I`m sure David Brown wanted the Bottle Opener tractors done in cream its just the memo never got to the paintshop :wink:

Cheers

Andy

manxmac

paint code

Post by manxmac » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:04 am

I have found Vapormatic Orchid White to be very close but you have to use a light grey undercoat otherwise the top coat appears too dark. Having run out of Hunting Pink I got B&Q to mix some Dulux to a sample to do the wheels. 3 years on it still looks as good as new and exactly the same as the chassis which was painted with Vapormatic. Cheap and convenient as shipping paint to an island is like transporting nuclear waste!!

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:55 am

Of course if you are in the U.K. you could always buy the correct paint from the on-line shop. :roll:
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby