Overheating 995

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

staffstractorboy

Overheating 995

Post by staffstractorboy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:22 am

I wonder if anyone can help? My newly bought 995 appears to be overheating and I'm trying to trace the fault. After about 15 mins the gauge goes into the red. I've removed the filler cap and whilst the radiator heats up the water remains hand hot. The fan belt is tight enough and the water pump revolves. Oddly when I squeeze the rad bottom hose it doesn't feel as if there's any coolant in it and the top is fairly easy to squeeze too. There I stick my finger into the filler there is no gush of hot water from the top hose & block. I haven't tested the thermostat yet nor removed the pump. What is also odd is that when I've tapped the gauge it has dropped down into the green before returning to the red.

I'd be grateful for any advice, particularly whether this could be a fault with the sensor or gauge

RE: Overheating 995

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:42 am

It's possible that the bottom tank of the radiator is blocked with crud. The guage would not operate at all if the sender was at fault unless there was a short in the wiring but that would probably cause the guage to go into the red sector as soon as you turned the key on. Themostat could be stuck but What I would do is to run the tractor until the guage does what it does and then draw off some water from the engine block drain just to see if it's hotter than that in the radiator. Second would be to remove the thermostat and drop it in some boiling water to see if it opens. Thirdly, remove the radiator and get it cleaned out.

staffstractorboy

Post by staffstractorboy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:12 pm

Thanks - I'll give it a go later in the week and let you know how I get on.

robzki

Post by robzki » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:21 am

I would remove the temp sender and put it in a cup of hot water at a known temp and seewhat the gauge does.

Also why is this in wanted? I've seen several topics moved to here which seem strange.

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:42 pm

It was moved FROM "wanted" to the main forum and a "shadow" left in "wanted" so that the original poster could come back to where he posted it and find any comments! Both Admin and I scan the various parts of the forum and move things to more appropriate places if necessary.

I know only too well that I can be looking at something in one part of the forum and then want to post a question in a "new topic" and forget to go to the section of the forum where the topic should be :oops: :oops:

robzki

Post by robzki » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:26 pm

Ahh, my mistake, sorry. Clever system and thanks for the efforts of everyone involved in keeping the place organised. If there are any spare could you send them round to organise my barn?

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:32 pm

I doubt you would want me - you should see my garage and sheds. On second thoughts, perhaps not...