cav vs minimec

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

davidb

cav vs minimec

Post by davidb » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:23 pm

You might spot this as a 'DB Newbie' question ...

Just wondering if all 1690 Turbos had the Minimec pump rather than the CAV? - Don't like elderly Minimecs personally - have had some seriously, seriously bad experiences with engines with seized injector pump governors!!!

Cheers

David

WesBrown

RE: cav vs minimec

Post by WesBrown » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:12 pm

Seriously, seriously bad? As in one that won't respond to the stop control and keeps increasing in engine speed until you crack off some fuel lines or block the air intake? I've known one do that but it's sufficiently rare as to not bother me about owning another. I wouldn't worry. All the 6 cylinders as far as I can remember or have seen, use the Minimec in-line pump.

Eric_T

Post by Eric_T » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:40 am

Hi David,

The general rule is (white era onwards)...

Small engines, 3 Cylinder and up to approx 60hp, CAV Rotary Pumps

Larger 4 Cylinders 1200,1400's etc, Minimed inline (apart from a small batch of 1210 and 1212's fitted with Bosch Inline)

6 Cylinders, all Minimec

I hear a lot of bad things about inline pumps, but I cant comment, we've never had problem with them...

:)

Dieter

Post by Dieter » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:43 pm

Regular service / Oil change is often forgotten for the inline pumps... which results in higher wear and malfuction.

For example, most farmers I've spoken with, do not know that the there is engine oil in the Minimec pump and that it needs to be changed.

On certain F*rds , f.e. 7810, the injection pump is fed with oil by the engine, so no need to change it separately.

cropfaster

Post by cropfaster » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi, I would have a minimec any day rather than a CAV rotary pump. Fine when new but when old , you try to get one to start on a frosty morning.

With a Minimec just push the cold start button in and instant life!

6-POT-PHIL
Location: Huddersfield, W Yorks. (Home of David Brown Tractors)

Post by 6-POT-PHIL » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:38 pm

Like Dieter says, keep up with oil changes on pump and it should never give you any bother.

Phil :)

P.S. welcome to the 6 pot club! :wink:
1961 850 Implematic Ex DB test tractor (now sold)
1960 950 Implematic
1970 990 12 speed Selectamatic
1976 996 Loader tractor
1987 'E' 1594 4WD Hydra-Shift
1985 'C' 1694 4WD Hydra-Shift
ImageImage

Six in line sounds mighty fine!!

tomwill

Re: RE: cav vs minimec

Post by tomwill » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:48 pm

Dieter wrote:Regular service / Oil change is often forgotten for the inline pumps... which results in higher wear and malfuction.

For example, most farmers I've spoken with, do not know that the there is engine oil in the Minimec pump and that it needs to be changed.

On certain F*rds , f.e. 7810, the injection pump is fed with oil by the engine, so no need to change it separately.
Yes like Dieter says many farmers do not know about oil in the inline pumps i know of one farmer over here had done 3000 hrs and it was never changed and could not believe the differance in the engine sound when i changed it,keep new oil and filters in it you will not have any trouble. The book says change it on every engine oil change, however i might change mine more often than that in my 1412 and 1594.TomWill AUST

Dieter

RE: Re: RE: cav vs minimec

Post by Dieter » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:05 pm

As an addition, also regularly check if the breather tube is still open.
If it's not, you run the risk the sealing of the inputshaft failes and the oil flows out of the injection pump into the engine.

PS. A symptom of too low oillevel in the pump is that after closing the trottle, it takes longer (and longer) for the engine to rev down.

thomasven

RE: Re: RE: cav vs minimec

Post by thomasven » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:37 pm

never had any problem with our 1210 and 1200 and the 1210 has been on our farm for 35 years (since new) and think they put cavs on some bigger ones as our 1494 had a cav on it
1 880 selectamatic
1 1200 selectamatic
1 1210
1 25d (seized engine project tractor)